“Preferable”

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook “Preferable”

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    ricia2001
    Participant

Hello. I would like clarification of the term "preferable" as it applies when used in Braille Formats 2011.

Example: Braille Formats 7.3.1 Placement of Boxes. Boxed material is inserted at the most logical place on the print page where the box occurs. It is preferable that boxed material be placed on a single braille page.

Does "preferable" mean that you should place the boxed material on a single page, even if a [u]significant[/u] amount of space is wasted on the previous page? Or does it mean to use your best judgment regarding space, easy of understanding, etc.?

Thanks for your help!!

joannavenneri
    Participant

That is a great questions! I think "preferable" means to use best judgment. But I would remind you that space-saving is NOT a priority. Clarity and ease of reading comes first, along with accurate reflection of the print. My own preference is to start boxed material on a new braille page if it will not fit on the current braille page regardless of the resulting extra space at the bottom of the braille page. As a print reader, I prefer my boxes all on one page too! That is MY preference, but others may have a different preference especially in their own specific situation. This is why the guidelines say PREFERENCE. I think the old rules used to say that a braille box should be on a single page wherever POSSIBLE. And now it says PREFERENCE. Best judgment!

And of course in come cases a box may not fit on a single braille page anyway.

--Joanna

joannavenneri
    Participant

Thanks so much Joanna. My "preference" matches yours. I like to start a box on a new page if there is not room to braille the entire box on the previous page. Thanks again.

ricia2001
    Participant

Even in spite of my numerous typos in the response we manage to agree! Thanks for your patience!

--Joanna

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.