shortforms

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Keitha
    Participant

Would you please explain why in Drill 28 the shortform for deceiving is not used in deceivingly (question 15) and the shortform for said in not used in unsaid (#37) and why in #4 of Exercise 11 rejoice isn't used in rejoiceth? Thank you very much.

Keitha
    Participant

Per Section 10.9.2 of the UEB codebook, shortforms for deceiving, said and rejoice can only be used within other words when the longer word appears on the Shortforms List given in Appendix 1. Deceivingly, unsaid and rejoiceth do NOT appear in Appendix 1.

HOWEVER, since the codebook came out, the ICEB code maintenance committee has approved the use of the shortform for said in the word unsaid (approved March 2015). Any new publications regarding UEB should reflect that change. In the meantime, I would suggest you write it into Appendix 1 of your codebook.

While making that change to Appendix 1, add the word unrepaid to the list for using the paid shortform. This change to Appendix 1 was also approved in March of 2015.

Cindi

claurent

Thank you, Cindi. I will note those changes that you mentioned.

Keitha

Laura
    Participant

I have a question concerning the shortforms list.  Why is unpaid allowed but not unsaid?  My proofreader said that unsaid has been added to the list, yet I cannot find it anywhere and the NLS Drill book spells it out, the ICEB Rule Book does not have it in the Shortform Word List or the Word List in Appendix 2.  Who is right?

Thank you,

Laura

claurent

As mentioned earlier, unsaid was added to the Appendix 1 list for shortforms in March of 2015.  I suspect the NLS Instruction Manual came out before the change was approved.  The contraction for said CAN be used in unsaid.

Cindi

Laura
    Participant

Thank you Cindi, I have notified staff to add this word to their lists.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.