Side-by-side English/Spanish Glossary with Samples

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook Side-by-side English/Spanish Glossary with Samples

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Tung
    Participant

Good morning, Cindi

The new Principles of Print to Braille, 2016 presented by you in October 2016 did not address the Glossaries with Samples (Braille Format 2011 section 22.6.5). Does this mean the rule for this type of Glossary will be the same in the updated BF? In other words:

I will use cell 5 heading for entry words.
    English entries is in 1-5 format and Spanish entries is 3-5 uncontracted braille, accented letters followed those in Appecdix D.4.

Displayed examples will be at 7-9 margin.

Please let me know if this is the correct way to transcribe.

Thank you very much.

dworthing
    Participant

Could you send an image of what your glossary with samples looks like? (requesting for Cindi L)

Tung
    Participant

Here is 1 page of the Glossary. I hope it will go thru.

Thanks.

Tung
    Participant

Here is 1 page of the Glossary. I hope it will go thru.

Thanks.

I am sorry. it did not.
    I will try some things else.

Tung

Tung
    Participant

Here we go: here is a page in the glossary.
    Thank you for your help.

Tung

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    dworthing
    Participant

I asked to see a page of your glossary so that I would know we are both talking about the same thing. Braille Formats 2016 does not change the rules for glossaries with samples. Your formatting looks acceptable. I'm checking with the tactile graphics committee on the placement of the drawings that make up samples in your transcription.

dworthing
    Participant

Continuing our discussion: It is preferable that the drawings shown as samples be aligned to the left on the braille page rather than in the displayed position. Text samples would be placed in the displayed position.

Tung
    Participant

Thank you very much. That's is very helpful.

Tung
    Participant

Hello, I have a following up with this question:

Since not every entry has displayed material, and the runover for the entries is at cell 5 (1-5, 3-5), the next entry also starts at cell 5. It does not look right. My question is: do I need a blank line before the heading? (I know that a cell 5 heading requires a blank line before, but in the Glossary some of the heading rules are not applied- center heading is one example)

Please help.

Thanks

claurent

You do need a blank line before a cell 5 heading.

Cindi

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.