Sidebar or Note

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook Sidebar or Note

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

In the old Formats the attached text in the margin would probably fall under Rule 12.2.a.2 References with a line or arrow pointing to its location. I cannot find this format in the notes section of the new formats. Is this format covered somewhere else in the code? How do we handle notes that are indicated by lines or arrows in the new code?

After reveiwing the Notes and Sidebar sections of the new code I have come to the coclusion that these related items shown in the margins (blue caption and notebook text) of my attached file could be treated as a sidebar. In order to show the relationship between the blue shaded information and the related text I was considering brailling this material as a blue box within a box. Is this format acceptable for this situation? If so, do I need a TN explaining the relationship between the blue box and the text or does the box within a box clearly demonstrate the relaionship?

If this format is not acceptable, could you please advise me on how to handle this material using the proper sections of the new code.

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

These are sidebars. The blue box is NOT within the the larger box and it should NOT be placed there under an circumstances. The transcriber brailles what the print shows. It is doubtful that the fact that the box is blue adds any information and it is probably just a visual device. The blue box apparently draws visual attention to the words in the notebook box that are in fact highlighted. I would braille the blue box as a blocked paragraph, followed by the boxed list, with the highlighted words in the box also highlighted in braille. That is what the print shows. Place each paragraph and box pair at logical places in the print. They do not necessarily have to follow each other, but each box should be accompanied by its preceding paragraph.

--Joanna

joannavenneri
    Participant

Could you please answer my first question regarding how to handle notes with lines, arrows, and pointing devices in the new code? Do we just ignore them now?

Since you agree that the pointing device used shows a relationship to the highlighted text, don't they have to aways follow each other to reflect what the print is showing?
    Your format doesn't make any reference to the fact that there is a pointing device in print, is this just ignored in the new code? Rule 12.3.1.a shows how to use a pointing device to identify where to place the side bar but nowhere in the code does it explain how to braille the arrow in the realted example.

Finally, I suggested embedding the blue box inside of the highlighted text box, because if you apply the rules as written, the blue box with the pointing device is either a sidebar to the sidebar with the highlighted text or a note to the sidebar with the highlighted text. Since rule 12.3.1 says that a sidebar is placed with its related text, and the blank lines between the series of side bars in your solution would make this relationship unclear, I am wondering if a TN is needed to clarify the format you are suggesting? Neither of these situations (note or sidebar to a sidebar) are covered in the code, but it seems like there should be a section for notes or sidebars to sidebars as I have seen this format before.

joannavenneri
    Participant

I have to stand by my original suggestions.
    See 12.3.1 and note extactly what it says about pointing devices with sidebars. It also covers placement. I think you will see that what I said reflects that. You might want to consider the purpose of that pointing device in print and how it serves the print reader. The arrow had not meaning to the braille reader. It is the PLACEMENT that has meaning and the arrow is used by the transcriber to determine placement.

As for inserting a box inside a box, I also stand by what I said. The sighted reader can see whether one box is actually inside another in print. The braille reader cannot. I strongly disagree with informing the braille reader that a box is printed inside another box when in fact it is not actually printed that way.

--Joanna

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.