spatial addition with omission boxes

Home Forums Unified English Braille Technical spatial addition with omission boxes

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Susan Baker
    Participant

Hello! This type of seemingly innocent problem has been something I have been struggling with. I would prefer not to use the numeric passage indicators, so that I can use contractions in the side comments. But then, for the omission boxes, I want to use the visible space symbols. Would I be able to use the visible space symbol for each omission in the spatial problem without a grade 1 indicator if it is not set off in numeric passage indicators? Thank you for your help.

Susan Baker

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    kdejute

We (NBA's UEB Technical Material Committee) are debating and will get back with you today or tomorrow. –Kyle

kdejute

Thank you for your question, Susan!

We think it is alright to use the visible space symbol without any grade 1 indicators as long as it does not follow a letter.

If we use the one-cell visible space symbol instead of the box that print shows to indicate an omission, we should explain that change in a transcriber's note. For example, "The visible space symbol .=+ is used in braille where print has a box."

A possible transcription of item 1 from the print you shared is attached (as a picture and as a BRF).

What do you think? Does this help?

–Kyle

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Susan Baker
    Participant

Thank you, Kyle and the UEB Technical Material Committee, for your explanation and guidance. That does help!

Susan

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.