Supporting staff with visual impairments

Home Forums Professional Resources Supporting staff with visual impairments

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Robin King
    Spectator

I have a staff member who is blind. He helps emboss braille materials. He has a computer, JAWS and a Braillant to provide support. My question is when he is in a file, he doesn't know what line he is on. This is just one example. I'm not sure if he doesn't have the right equipment or software. We use Duxbury. Are there any suggestions or training that are available to him? Our goal is for him to be independently editing and embossing books. I really want to provide the best support by giving him tools to be successful at his job. Thanks in advance.

JanaBrailles

Hi Robin,

I am looking into getting an answer for you. I am not a Duxbury user. Let me see what I can find out and I'll respond once I have an answer. Can you also please post this question on the Computer-Assisted Transcription message board?

Thanks!

Jana Hertz

JanaBrailles

Hi Robin,

I have checked with the resources I know of, one being a blind consumer/technology "guru" who was unable to answer your question but offered the following. He believes it can be done with Duxbury and a braille display, but he isn't sure how. He suggested contacting Duxbury, as their tech support is very good. Duxbury may be able to help, or point you to the appropriate place in the manual that addresses your questions.  Duxbury’s number is 978-692-3000. Additionally, they probably would also know of a good trainer who may be able to help with some of the more advanced stuff. It is my understanding that training can be provided remotely, so the trainer would not have to be local to you.

I hope this is helpful. I'm sorry I don't have better answers for you.

Jana

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.