Terminology – UEB Math and UEB with Nemeth

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Terminology – UEB Math and UEB with Nemeth

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Deborah Adams
    Participant

I keep hearing talk about UEB Math and UEB Nemeth, I want to get a clarification on this terminology.

UEB Math is straight UEB without utilizing the Nemeth enclosures?

UEB Nemeth is UEB surrounding text and using Nemeth enclosures based on the Provisional guidelines?

I have spoken to a few people and they have given me the impression that even with UEB Math you still use the Nemeth Provisional guidlines. Just want to make sure I am understanding correctly.

Thanks.

kdejute

The issue here may be that there is no rigid terminology for discussing methods of transcribing technical material.

I suggest that when absolute clarity is needed, the following phrases be used:

• "transcribed according to UEB Guidelines for Technical Material"
      • (which means NO Nemeth is used)
    • "transcribed according to the "Provisional Guidance for Transcription Using the Nemeth Code within UEB Contexts" or "transcribed according to the "Guidance for Transcription Using the Nemeth Code within UEB Context"
      • (which means Nemeth is used, within Nemeth switch indicators)
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.