toc volume division

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook toc volume division

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Julie Sumwalt
    Participant

I am finishing up a book using Formats 1997. I now know all the volume divisions and lettered continuation pages, so I am putting them into the table of contents in volume 1. I am not sure how to apply BF 1997 Rule 2, Section 7(b), since it talks about unit or part headings with listed chapters. This book does not have unit or part headings, but chapters and sections. The chapters were divided between volumes, but all the sections remained intact. I centered the chapter headings, which according to the rule are not to be repeated, yet they are the very thing that is being continued. Should they be repeated, or not?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    joannavenneri
    Participant

I need some help with this one. I notice that the braille doesn't match the print and I also see some page numbers in the braille contents that I do not understand--these are the entry numbers that don't have number signs.

I'm not sure I understand why the chapter headings are centered. The rules say only that unit and part headings are centered and say nothing about centering chapter headings. I think in this case there just aren't any unit and part headings. I see the chapters as main entries (1-5) and the sections under each chapter as sub-entries (3-7) and I would like to suggest that these contents be done that way. This will also make it easier to figure out which items get the (cont.) designation since it has been necessary to divide chapters across volumes. Consider Example 9 in 1997 Formats. There are no unit or part headings there either.

And here's a good reason why the numbering system has been changed in the new Formats guidelines. You refer to Rule 2 Section 7(b) and (b) is a sub-sub entry. I'm not sure which section it applies to--so I can't see exactly what you are referring to. There are several instances of (b) in Rule 7 unfortunately and I can't tell which one you mean.

I think changing the formatting to 1-5, 3-7 as the rules suggest will make it easier to figure out which items are designated (cont.) in Volume 1 and subsequent volumes.

The print and braille pages have been very helpful to me in understanding what the formatting considerations are here.

I'll look forward to continuing on this one.

--Joanna

joannavenneri
    Participant

The braille doesn't match the print?? I'm alarmed! The page numbers are in Nemeth; it gets goofy when there are lettered continuations. I guess I wasn't reading the rule of "unit and part headings MUST be centered" as "ONLY unit and part headings should be centered." I centered the chapter headings because they are major divisions in this book. I considered putting them in 1-5 as well when I ran into this problem, and your answer is confirmation that that would be the better way to go.

One tries so hard to be clear when asking questions... I was referring to Rule 2, Section 7(b)[1] on page 37 in my manual. I do like the decimal numbering system in the 2011 manual.

I'm glad the attachments were helpful. I only wish I could figure out why my PDFs come through so sketchy.

Thank you very much for your response.

Julie

Julie Sumwalt
    Participant

Sorry to be so picky and wish I could be more helpful. Section 7b on page 37 is preceded by Section 7a (no parentheses) which has several instances of (b) under it. On page 37 is Section 7b(no parens) THEN under (2) is (b) in parens. A number or letter with or without parentheses is critical in this numbering scheme and one of the many reasons why it is often difficult to follow. Without the page number I could not tell which instance of (b) you were referrring to. I couldn't tell which subsection it is under.

See page 1 of your braille, lines 15, 19, 21. I don't know what those page numbers are. Is that Nemeth with continuation letters? I don't know this notation but I could not find the corresponding item in the print. That's why I concluded that the print and braille were not matching. I could not find entry text that matched the braille in my attempt to decipher the page number.

The rule says what it says about centering Unit and Part Headings. The one example in Formats without unit and part headings does not show chapters centered.

If you used 1-5,3-7, you could show the chapter (cont.) in 1-5 with no page number and the next subsection that starts that vollume in 3-7 with its page number.

Just my suggestion. This is not an easy problem.

I do have a feeling that the new guidelines will make this sort of things easier. For one thing, there won't be any continuation letters in contents!

--Joanna

Julie Sumwalt
    Participant

Oh, gosh, yes, now I see that my rule reference should have been Rule 2, Section 7a(5)(b)[1}! Completely missed that, no matter how much I stared at it. Sorry!

Yes, those are lettered continuation pages, Nemeth-style.

That's interesting that I wouldn't have to put the page numbers for the chapter (cont.) entries.

I'm so glad this will be the last time I ever have to do this! Thanks again.

Julie

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.