Transposed Material

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook Transposed Material

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    j.l.ceja760
    Participant

Hello,

This is regarding the table of contents entry for transposed notes found in the back of a book and moved to the volume they appear in.

Braille formats 2.10.12b  states the following:

"In volumes with only part of the full table of contents, transposed material is listed (with its print page number, if shown) in the order in which it appears in that particular volume.

In Formats Sample 2-19 the transposed Notes appears in the Contents with the page number 738. This Page 738 is the page the actual Notes section would start on in the book. However, in the actual braille volume the notes for ch. 21 would obviously begin on a different page number,  as would most other chapters transposed in other volumes.

In this case, would the page number 738 be used as the Contents entry in every single volume?

claurent

If I am understanding your question...the notes are being put into each volume with the material to which they apply, right? Per BF 16.9.2b "Endnotes at the end of a book generally are divided and placed at the end of the volume in which the references appear." So the notes are placed at the end of each volume and should keep the print page number that applies - in this case, 738.

Let's say that the notes for Chapters 1 & 2 appear on print page 738 in the print text. Let's say that each chapter is one volume - so Chapter 1 is in volume 1 and Chapter 2 is in volume 2. At the end of volume 1 is print page 738 with the notes for Chapter 1 and at the end of Volume 2 is print page 738 again with the notes for Chapter 2.

In the Volume 2, Table of Contents, the contents for Chapter 2 would be first followed by a blank line and then the Notes page showing print page 738.

Does this answer your question? If I have misunderstood the question please clarify 🙂

Cindi

j.l.ceja760
    Participant

Hello again,

Yes, I believe you understood the question and thank you for the scenario. It all sounds right to me and I agree with you.

And if I understand you correctly, we use the print page number that applies.

For further clarification I just want to go a little further. Let's say volume three contains chapter 3 and the notes in chapter 3 appear on the next print page 739. In the ToC, is the print page 739 used for the Notes entry page number? Or is the print page number 738, which is the only page number shown in the Toc for the Notes entry in print, used for all volumes?

Thanks for your help on this!

claurent

That's a good question! BF does not directly address this. I would suggest that you use the print page number that actually appears on your volume. So for volume 3, the TOC entry would use 739.

Cindi

j.l.ceja760
    Participant

Thank you Cindi!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.