Typeform and punctuation, italic passage indicator

Home Forums Unified English Braille Literary Typeform and punctuation, italic passage indicator

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    kdejute

Will you please help me understand whether I should end italics before or after punctuation that follows an emphasized passage?

Here is the passage I'm dealing with:

---------------------------------------------------
    Jon J Muth was inspired by his young twins as he wrote and illustrated Hi, Koo! A Year of Seasons. His many enchanting picture books include Zen Shorts, a Caldecott Honor Book; two companions, Zen Ties and Zen Ghosts; and The Three Questions, which is based on a Tolstoy short story. His exquisitely beautiful books are cherished by readers of all ages.
    ---------------------------------------------------

For Hi, Koo! A Year of Seasons and The Three Questions should I place the italic terminator after the period and after the comma if I KNOW that the period and the comma are not italicized?
    I want to include the punctuation in the emphasis for better readability, but the UEB Rules seem only to provide for including punctuation within the effect of a word indicator.

Thank you in advance for your insight.

claurent

If the punctuation is included in the emphasis, the terminator should follow the punctuation. If it is not included in the emphasis, the terminator should precede the punctuation. If you can't tell if the punctuation is included in the emphasis, put the terminator after the punctuation for better readability.

Cindi

kdejute

Thank you, Cindi!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.