October 12, 2015 at 11:50 am #14841CindyParticipant
I'm attaching a few more questions from Mr. Keil regarding UEB with Encapsulated Nemeth. Thank you.
CindyOctober 12, 2015 at 1:11 pm #22863claurentModerator
See my answers below
I have a few more questions concerning UEB transcription with encapsulated Nemeth:
• Are functions, such as “f(x)” or “f(8)” done in Nemeth mode or UEB?
[color=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Yes, functions are done in Nemeth[/color]
• How do we do colored boxes when the color is relevant?
[color=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Formats is recommending that an indicator (use a transcriber-define typeform indicator) is placed beginning in cell 1 of the opening box line, follow it with one blank cell and then complete the line with the box line symbol. Of course, the indicator must be explained somewhere - the Special Symbols page or a transcriber's note at the site.[/color]
• Is a grade one indicator used on a single letter on a tactile graphic?
[color=rgb(255, 0, 0)]If the tactile is being done in UEB. There are a couple options for tactiles (at least until the Tactile Graphics Guidelines get updated). You can do a note on the Transcriber's Notes page saying that all the tactile labels are done in Nemeth...that means that no contractions are used in any labels that are words. The math is "regular" Nemeth. Or you can do a TN above the graphic telling the reader which code is used for labels. If a tactile is preceded by an equation, just leave Nemeth open until after the tactile (insert the closing indicator after the tactile). Or you can just open Nemeth prior to the tactile and close it after (place the indicators at the margin). There would need to be a blank line after the begin Nemeth indicator and a blank line before the end Nemeth indicator (the blank lines must be before and after the tactile itself). Remember that if you are in Nemeth, you cannot use contractions in words.[/color]
And a few general question about UEB transcriptions:
• On the SSP we list the symbols in braille order, what do we do when two symbols have the same dot configurations? Alphabetical from there? For example the top and bottom exterior borders for a set of nested boxes is the same as the solid scale mark for number lines.
[color=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Yes, alphabetic order is good.[/color]
• Are we allowed, for ease of the reader, to list symbols for number lines construction, perimeter construction, Spanish alphabet symbols ect,. under category headings as opposed to braille order.
[color=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Yes, I would say that's a good idea...but I would only do it for very specialized symbols - even if I might personally want to do otherwise :)[/color]
• Where can we go to find a list of all symbols that need to be listed on the SSP? (actually symbols not a generalized list as in the instruction manual)
[color=rgb(255, 0, 0)]There isn't one yet. Although I did post a proposed list to a previous question on this expert page. You can get it from there if you'd like it. Just know that it is PROPOSED and may change.[/color]
• On a line graph done in UEB, on the horizontal axis, can we use the numeric passage indicator on the first value and terminate it on the final value?
[color=rgb(255, 0, 0)]No.[/color]
• How do we treat vocabulary words, embedded in text, that are both in bold type are highlighted? Do we maintain the double font attribute and use a transcriber defined font for the highlight? e.g. `#1^1,ADJAC5T `#1^1>CS
[color=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Unless there is a need to keep both typeforms, keep the bold and ignore the highlighting. If there are other bold words in the text, keep the highlighting (use a transcriber-defined typeform indicator) and ignore the bold.[/color]
[color=rgb(255, 0, 0)]You are most welcome![/color]
[color=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Cindi[/color]
edited by claurent on 10/12/2015April 20, 2016 at 9:31 am #26728kdejuteModerator
The attached .BRF is supposed to be a template for listing number line symbols from the Tactile Graphic guidelines within a subsection on the Special Symbols page of a Nemeth-in-UEB-context transcription. Do you think the braille I've got will work (for the time being) as a template for such a section?
Thank you so much for your time and input.
KyleApril 24, 2016 at 12:55 am #26758claurentModerator
Kyle - attached is what the BANA math committee is proposing.
CindiApril 25, 2016 at 3:33 pm #26761kdejuteModerator
Thank you sincerely, Cindi. That is spot on.
- This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 7 years, 7 months ago by .
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)