Underline in UEB with Nemeth

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Underline in UEB with Nemeth

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    braillebud
    Participant

How would the underlined portion of this item be transcribed? This is UEB with Nemeth.
    <ol start="17">

• Rounded to the nearest integer, what is the minimum speed that puts a car in the <u>top 3%</u> of all cars traveling on that highway?
  • Thanks,

Laurie

braillebud
Participant

Second try:

Not sure why that didn't come through correctly. Now I can't find a way to show underline in this post. My issue is, the area I'm showing in bold below is shown underlined in print. What would be the correct way to transcribe that in a UEB with Nemeth transcription?

17. Rounded to the nearest integer, what is the minimum speed that puts a car in the top 3% of all cars traveling on that highway?

Laurie

Lindy Walton

Hi Laurie. Your question certainly makes me pause. This has been a topic of debate for a long time. Here is my advice. The Nemeth Code tells us to disregard typeform if it is not mathematically significant. Section 34.b: "When any material, mathematical or literary, is printed in non-regular type that has no mathematical significance, the variant type form must not be represented in the transcription."

I would not underline "top 3%" in the braille transcription. If you feel the student will be missing a hint that the print readers get from the underlining, you can inform the reader by means of a transcriber's note that "top 3%" is underlined in print.

Hope this helps.

Lindy

braillebud
Participant

Thank you Lindy. Helps a lot!

Laurie

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.