How to use Corel Draw for TGs

Home Forums Tactile Graphics How to use Corel Draw for TGs

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    pbyrne
    Participant

We have purchased Corel Draw Version 7 but are novices. Is there any instructional material available to help us get started using the program? We have been using MS Word for TGs but would like to progress to Corel.

As this program can be very overwhelming, we would like to know how to use it pertaining to TGs. I see in the Education Materials that there is a 'Drawing with MS Word' book, is there anything similar for Corel Draw? Or, do you know of any website that can help a beginning user to learn?

Thank you in advance for any help that you can provide.

Paula

rsherwood12
    Participant

Hi Paula,

Thank you for your question. CorelDRAW is a fantastic tool for tactile graphics. A set of macros has been developed to save time and help the transcriber create graphics that conform to the Guidelines and Standards for Tactile Graphics. I agree there is a bit of a learning curve to the program, though, and a lot of features that will never be used for braille graphics.

NBA does offer an in-person training on this subject.  If you are interested, you can contact NBA directly using our online training request form: https://www.nationalbraille.org/training-bureau/

Later in June (date to be determined), I will be doing a brief webinar demonstrating the macros to give an overview of what tools are available, and at our conference in Orlando, FL this October, Betty Marshall will be doing a much more thorough demonstration as a full workshop. I would highly encourage you to attend the conference and workshop if you are able.

Sincerely,
    Rebecca

• This reply was modified 6 years, 11 months ago by rsherwood12.
    pbyrne
    Participant

Hi Rebecca,

Thank you for your reply and the information. Can you tell me where I can get the macros that have been developed? This may help me get a jump-start on the program.

I look forward to the upcoming webinar and I will definitely register for the workshop at the upcoming conference.

Sincerely,

Paula

rsherwood12
    Participant

Hi Paula,

I apologize I forgot to give you the link! If you join the Google Group called Tactile-Macros (go to https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/tactile-macros and click Join Group or Apply to Join Group) you will be able to download the macro installation files, templates set up for braille graphics, and other info to get started. Members can also post questions in the forum on how to use the templates and macros or to troubleshoot problems.

The Tactile-Macros group also has a Google Drive folder where the installation files are located (https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B5DeA90Bxsu9NnFsNnZvQ2FuekE). I believe you should be able to access those even if you are not a member of the group.

I have an older version of CorelDRAW (X5), so I can't speak for newer versions, but I found the video tutorials under the Help menu immensely useful for learning the basics of the program. I might start there just to get used to the tools, how to use them and where to find everything in the toolbars and menus. The Tactile Graphics Macros are more specific to braille formats and once you are familiar with the basics of the program, they will really speed up your ability to create tactile graphics that conform to the Guidelines and Standards.

Please let me know if the links don't work or if the process once you get there is unclear.

Best,
    Rebecca

pbyrne
    Participant

Thank you so much Rebecca. I really appreciate all the help that you have given me.

Paula

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.