Question about blank lines

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook Question about blank lines

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    AZFowls
    Participant

Hello again.

I have transcribed a translation of a Scripture called The Upanishads. In this translation, each verse is numbered with a roman numeral (in caps), that is placed in the center of the line BEFORE the line that the verse starts on. So, I've finished a verse, skipped a line, placed the roman numeral in the center of the next line, skipped another line, and started the next verse over on the left margin in 3-1. There are a lot of blank lines in this transcription. (There are numerous commentaries between verses that are preceded and followed by a blank line in accordance with Appendix C "Commentaries".) I can't really find anything in 2011 Formats that says I could do it any differently with these roman numerals. And I've looked in the section on headings as well as Appendix C which deals all with the use of blank lines.

Do you have enough information here to make any other recommendation, or should I just leave as I've done it? I was thinking about not leaving a blank line between the roman numeral and the following verse..... don't want to do it if it isn't correct.

Thanks for your help!
    AZFOWLS

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    joannavenneri
    Participant

I would like more information about the print, preferably a scan of an actual print page. Is the text in each verse line-numbered? Is the text in each verse shown in poetic or prose form?

I don't think this is just a matter of centered headings, even though you have followed the format given for centered headings, blank line before and after. Headings that are centered in print are not always treated as braille centered headings for a variety of reasons that I'll be happy to discuss as soon as I have more information about the surrounding text.

So if you can send the information I have mentioned above, that would guide me to a more precise answer.

--Joanna

joannavenneri
    Participant

I'm going to see if I can attach a sample page. I think I did it. Let me know if it doesn't come through!

joannavenneri
    Participant

Thank you! This is VERY helpful. Just what I was hoping for.

I'll study this and be back soon.

--Joanna

AZFowls
    Participant

I consulted with Cindi Laurent, the chair of the NBA Formats Committee. The answer may be surprising to you. It certainly is not obvious.

The verse numbers here are printed as headings but they are not regarded as headings in braille because Formats has specific provisions for verse numbers. It is unfortunately located in Section 15, which addresses LINE NUMBERED text and your text is NOT line numbered. It is VERSE NUMBERED and that finally brings us to 15.9

See 15.9 Verse-Numbered Texts in Religious Material. This is the only specific provision for religious text in Formats. 15.9.2 addresses verse numbers within the paragraph. Your verse numbers are headings, not within the paragraph. That takes us to 15.9.3 which directs that the verse numbers are placed at the right hand margin and the provisions for line-numbered text are observed. However, note that the verse number is placed ONLY at the first line of the paragraph, NOT at the end of every line as in line numbered paragraphs. The margins and placement regarding print and braille page numbers do apply, so look those over.

If you are not familiar with line numbered text rules, take some time to read them over and look at examples.

Let us know if you need any further help. This is difficult formatting if you're not familiar with it.

--Joanna

joannavenneri
    Participant

Joanna,
    Thanks so much for your input. I have in fact transcribed another Scripture and used the exact format you are speaking of. Verse numbers on the right margin, on the first line of each verse, and always having 2 blank cells to the left of the longest verse number on the braille page. I kind of like that format. And it was pretty obvious what to do. It worked well with that particular religious text. As recommended in Formats, I put the change on the TRanscribers Notes page in the "t" pages.

I'm thinking about the commentaries with this though. Are they going to follow the "rule" of having 2 blank cells to the left of the longest verse number on the braille page? Or are they going to use all 40 cells on the line? In the other Scripture I did, the "Bhagavad Gita", there were no commentaries. Do you all have a recommendation for this?

Thanks for your input. I like the idea of putting the verse numbers on the right margin. It seems like a very "braille-reader-friendly" thing to do.....

AZFowls
    Participant

So sorry! I forgot to mention those commentaries. Yes, the commentaries will observe the same right-hand margin as the rest of the text within the line-numbered format. I see this commentary as a blocked paragraph. I would have a blank line before and after and keep that right side margin.

I also forgot to mention the TN. Yes, indeed have a TN at the beginning. I think all you need is to explain that the verse numbers are centered above each verse in print and shown at the right margin in braille. I don't think you need that additional information in the TN about the 3 blank spaces because there won't be any here since the line number is applied only on the first line of the verse.

I agree with you also about the ease of reading in this format. It also makes it easy for the reader to distinguish between the verse and the commentary.

Thanks for this very interesting question.

--Joanna

AZFowls
    Participant

This is great. I'm working on it now and it looks SO MUCH BETTER! Thanks again for helping me figure this one out. I've learned a lot!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.