Home Forums Tactile Graphics UEB Math worksheets for 1st grade

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Melissa Caldwell
    Participant

I am working on UEB Math worksheets for 1st grade. I am adding analog clocks as a tactile graphic. I am having a discussion with other transcribers that I work with on the proper way to do an analog clock. What are the rules for UEB? Do I use any type of numeric indicator, numeric passage indicator or numeric terminator? I read in Guidelines and Standards for Tactile Graphics 2010 Unit 6.1.1.1 that it says to omit the numeric indicator on analog clocks. This is what I told my coworker. She tells me that it is specific to Nemeth or EBAE and that RUEB does not address this situation. She also says UEB does not often depend on context so the numeric passage indicator is added so that the student knows that it isn't random words. Again, I disagree with my coworker and would like to learn the correct way to do this worksheet. I am new to transcribing UEB math and am still learning all the rules. Please help me know the proper way to transcribe an analog clock as a tactile graphic with the rules. Thank you!

Donald Winiecki

Melissa,

Thank you for your question!

We can say with certainty that the rules for adding braille to analog clock TGs have not changed from those published in Guidelines and Standards for Tactile Graphics (GSTG) 2010. Soon-to-be-released updates in GSTG do not make any changes to this.

Specifically, following the rules under GSTG 6.1, we should not add the numeric indicator to digits on analog clocks, whether using the UEB Technical code or Nemeth code. Readers should have been taught that digits on analog clocks will not use the numeric indicator.

Hope this helps!

If you have any additional questions related to this or if you have other questions pertinent to TGs, please don't hesitate to ask.

Melissa Caldwell
    Participant

Thank you so much for your help!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.