UEB Math worksheets for 1st grade

Home Forums Tactile Graphics UEB Math worksheets for 1st grade

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Melissa Caldwell
    Participant

I am working on UEB Math worksheets for 1st grade. I am adding analog clocks as a tactile graphic. I am having a discussion with other transcribers that I work with on the proper way to do an analog clock. What are the rules for UEB? Do I use any type of numeric indicator, numeric passage indicator or numeric terminator? I read in Guidelines and Standards for Tactile Graphics 2010 Unit 6.1.1.1 that it says to omit the numeric indicator on analog clocks. This is what I told my coworker. She tells me that it is specific to Nemeth or EBAE and that RUEB does not address this situation. She also says UEB does not often depend on context so the numeric passage indicator is added so that the student knows that it isn't random words. Again, I disagree with my coworker and would like to learn the correct way to do this worksheet. I am new to transcribing UEB math and am still learning all the rules. Please help me know the proper way to transcribe an analog clock as a tactile graphic with the rules. Thank you!

Donald Winiecki

Melissa,

Thank you for your question!

We can say with certainty that the rules for adding braille to analog clock TGs have not changed from those published in Guidelines and Standards for Tactile Graphics (GSTG) 2010. Soon-to-be-released updates in GSTG do not make any changes to this.

Specifically, following the rules under GSTG 6.1, we should not add the numeric indicator to digits on analog clocks, whether using the UEB Technical code or Nemeth code. Readers should have been taught that digits on analog clocks will not use the numeric indicator.

Hope this helps!

If you have any additional questions related to this or if you have other questions pertinent to TGs, please don't hesitate to ask.

Melissa Caldwell
    Participant

Thank you so much for your help!

Melissa Caldwell
    Participant

The question of whether to use the numeric passage indicator and numeric terminator has come up again but with more than analog clocks. Should we use the numeric passage indicator on the line before and after the image for clocks, number lines, Cartesian planes/coordinate grids or do "we just ignore the general UEB rules in this situation despite none of the official ICEB or BANA books about UEB stating this exception." The quote is from a coworker that is still trying to get me to use the numeric passage indicator on analog clocks.

Do we use any type of numeric indicator or terminator for analog clocks, number lines, or Cartesian graphs? Before or after the graphic or inside the graphic?

Please help.

Thank you!

Donald Winiecki

Hi Melissa!

With respect to analog clocks in tactile graphics, we can say with certainty that the rules for adding braille to analog clock TGs have not changed from those published in Guidelines and Standards for Tactile Graphics (GSTG) 2010. I have inside information from BANA that soon-to-be-released updates in GSTG do not make any changes to this.

Specifically, following the rules under GSTG 6.1, we should not add the numeric indicator to digits on analog clocks, whether using the UEB Technical code or Nemeth code.

At the very beginning of Unit 6-1 in Guidelines and Standards for Tactile Graphics (GSTG) 2010, there is a table that indicates when to use the numeric indicator and when not to use the numeric indicator. It indicates that the numeric indicator is not to be used in Cartesian graphs, clocks, number lines and other types of technical graphics. I am including a screen shot of the relevant page from GSTG in this reply to your question.

This goes for inside and outside these types of graphics. Learners should have been taught that these types of graphics will not contain any numeric indicators. However, note that the grade 1 indicator is necessary in certain case if single letters or letters corresponding to shortform words are used in these types of graphics.

Hope this helps!

If you have any additional questions related to this or if you have other questions pertinent to TGs, please don't hesitate to ask.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Melissa Caldwell
    Participant

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly and for your help! The attachment above is what I already was using. I referenced it in my first question. That is what started the discussion with my coworker. I read Guidelines and Standards for Tactile Graphics 2010 Unit 6.1.1.1  along with the chart and understood it to mean not to use a numeric indicator of any type whether it be a numeric passage indicator, numeric indicator or numeric terminator. Thank you for clarifying that this includes both inside and outside the graphics.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.