Reply To: EXPRESSION DIVISION

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science EXPRESSION DIVISION Reply To: EXPRESSION DIVISION

betty.marshall
Participant

Q#1 – [Page 265 of the Lesson book: Exercise 14: Item 27.] The linked expression is broken across the braille pages. [color=#0000ff]I have checked both the print, and the braille copies of An Introduction to Braille Mathematics, and neither show the linked expression you are referring to as split across pages.[/color] This is curious because the rules state that you cannot break an expression across braille pages unless absolutely necessary. Are the anchor and links a entire combined expression that needs to be started on the next braille page? Or are the anchors and links each a separate expression, therefore; the links (with unbroken runovers) can continue on the next page? [color=#0000ff]The anchor and links must be kept together on the same page.[/color]

Q#2 – Are a group of regular displayed expressions like the one below considered to be all one expression that must not be broken across braille pages or can you separate them (not breaking any runovers of each)? [color=#0000ff]I would consider each of these as a separate expression and allow any of them to start on a new braille page. They are merely showing substitution.[/color]

17-C The question asks for the area of the triangle. Since the base is given in terms of the height and the height is given in terms of the base, the height (h) and the base (b) can be found with two equations. The two equations are b = h - 4.5 and h = 2b + 1. If you substitute what h is equal to in the second equation into the first equation, you can find b.

b = (2b + 1) – 4.5
b = 2b - 3.5
b = 3.5
Now substitute 3.5 in for b in the second equation to find h.
h = 2(3.5) + 1
h = 7 + 1
h = 8
The area of a triangle equals bh.
(3.5)(8) = 14.

Q#3 – How do you identify a Unified System of Equations if it is not referred to in print and has no grouping symbols? [color=#0000ff]I, too, used to mistake expressions that were simply showing substitution as being a system of equation. It was explained to me that they would be referred to in print as a system, or they would be shown with the grouping symbols.[/color]

Q#4 – [Page 124 of the Lesson Book] Can you please explain the 5-3 format used at the last two lines of print: “Use the principles in…”. I cannot find any rule to support this. [color=#0000ff]The main division (1) is formatted in 1/5. The subdivisions (a), (b) are formatted in 3/5. The next 2 lines starting with “Use the principles …” are in 7/5 as a new paragraph to the subdivision. My copy does not show it formatted in 5/3. Also please refer to the Errata for 124 as shown below:[/color]

[quote=][color=#0000ff]p. 123, §89d: Replace the text paragraph with the following:
d. When a displayed expression occurs within itemized text and the item containing it is a main division with subdivisions, the displayed expression, regardless of whether it applies to the main division or a subdivision, must begin in cell 7, and its runovers must begin in cell 9.[/color]
[/quote]

Q#5 – [Page 17 of the Divide and Conquer workbook, Example 14] This linked expression has a curiosity in the third link that is margined 5-7 but the text “(by Theorem 7.4.2)” starts in cell-9 on the next runover line. What rule supports this formatting? [color=#0000ff]I’m sorry, I will have to check into this further, as I do not have a copy of this workshop material.[/color]