Reply To: fraction strips w/number lines

Home Forums Tactile Graphics fraction strips w/number lines Reply To: fraction strips w/number lines

Chris Clemens
Keymaster

Hello Georgia Braille--
For page 289, I would present the information in a horizontal position with textures and a key because there is not enough room across the page to place all the 1/6 labels. If you tried to place the 1/6 labels on the drawing, you would have to stagger the labels between multiple lines which would require multiple lead lines. These multiple lead lines would compete and possibly hinder the reader from finding/interpreting the important blue grouping brackets shown in print. You would have to make sure the textures were very different and that there was a definite "break" between the textures so that the student would be able to see where one area texture ended and the other area texture began.

For page 297--TG Graphics Guidelines, Unit 6.5.1.8 states, "Ordinary numeric and alphabetic labels should be placed below the number line regardless of their placement in print." So the first thing is that the numbers would have to be placed below the number line in braille even though they were above the number line in print. I would also omit some of the numbers so that you were able to get as many of the horizontal labels across one braille line as possible. The circled empty strips could be done two ways--

Option A. If you're doing collage, you could draw in the strips (either by hand or Tiger) using a low relief dotted line. The circles could be superimposed on top of the strips using a medium weight texture so that you could definitely tell the different between the two textured lines.

Option B. You could omit the strips and use the General Sign of Omission for each empty square with circles around each grouping of 4 omission signs.

Regardless of which method you chose, they would be placed directly under the number line as shown in print.

I'm going to send an email to Betty Marshall (NBA Nemeth chair) to have her review my response and see if she has a different opinion from a Nemeth perspective.

Diane