Reply To: stammering with ellipses; interrupted words

Home Forums English Braille American Edition stammering with ellipses; interrupted words Reply To: stammering with ellipses; interrupted words

rsherwood12
Participant

Thank you for the example.
It’s so important to see the actual print in order to get a complete picture of the situation in question.

What an interesting situation and excellent question!
Even if the letter indicator was used before the first letter(s), and brailled as an ellipsis with a space before and after, it would completely lose the idea of a stammered word. It would read as 3 separate items: a single letter; an ellipsis (as a hesitation or omission); new word.

c … came

This is one of those situations when we have to reference the rules/guidelines we do have, then use good judgment to create braille that best represents the print concept.
I see two potential options.

Option 1:
Substitute hyphens for the ellipsis and follow the rules for contraction usage as stated in EBAE Rule II.13--Stammering, etc. Then insert a TN in an appropriate place to explain the change.

Option 2:
Use three dot 3’s (ellipsis) unspaced as shown in EBAE Rule I.7a--Omitted letters. However, since these are not missing letters I would follow the rules for contraction usage as stated in EBAE Rule II.13-- Stammering, etc.

Personally I believe the main concept here is that these are stammered words and would use Option 1.
You’ll have to decide what works best for your particular situation.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.
--Saralyn