Reply To: ones, tens, and hundreds counting blocks

Home Forums Tactile Graphics ones, tens, and hundreds counting blocks Reply To: ones, tens, and hundreds counting blocks

betty.marshall
Participant

Hi Susan
When the raised dots are added to the blocks of one hundred on page 6-69 of the Guidelines, they are being used to replace the shading. In your example, since there is no shading, the dots within individual squares would not be added. From both the crossed-out print directions, and from the teacher's handwriten questions, I would say that the student is not counting individual little blocks, but is counting 2 hundreds blocks (or flats), 6 tens blocks (or rods) and 2 (or is it 3??)ones units. On page 6-66 under Kindergarten through grade 3, the Guidelines say that "Groups of blocks must be grouped just as they are grouped in print, ...". I don't think that any of the students are being asked to count out 263 individual blocks--in fact, the sighted studenta don't have the lines to enable them to count them that way. I believe in this case, you should follow print and show the outlined shape, but enlarged appropriately so that the indiviual ones are no smaller than 3/8 inch (1 cm) and the rest drawn proportionalately. That is, the rods should be 10 cm by 1 cm and spaced 3-6 mm apart from each other. The flats would be 10 cm by 10 cm in the braille tactile. Unless the teacher has specifically said that she wants this worksheet shown with the inner dashed lines added, you should follow print. The student will likely be working with classroom manipulatives and they would match what you have drawn in the tactile.
Hope this helps. I have usually seen these in print with the "inner" lines shown for each unit, in which case I would reproduce them on the tactile graphic.
Betty