Reply To: measurement units within Nemeth switch indicators
Home › Forums › Nemeth Code for Math and Science › measurement units within Nemeth switch indicators › Reply To: measurement units within Nemeth switch indicators
In response to your first question, I would say that "of a yard" and "of an hour" should be included within the Nemeth switch indicators that are necessitated by the fractions 2/3 and 3/4.
These phrases perform the same function that "centimeters" or "km" would if they followed the numeric measurements; they are integral to the meaning of the numbers. So, they should be included in the "Nemeth bubble" uncontracted and without using single-word switch indicators.
Further discussion and consideration have led to these conclusions:
- A phrase like "of a yard" or "of an hour" is not a unit of measure like "yard" and "hour" and would not be put inside the switches.
- When a word is not directly adjacent to a number that must be in Nemeth mode, the word is not considered a unit of measure.
- Some examples
- ".5 yard" and ".5 of a yard" would be treated differently, with ".5 yard" all in Nemeth and ".5 of a yard" having only ".5" in Nemeth
- ".75 cup of water" would have ".75 cup" in Nemeth but not "of water"
- ".5 bag of marbles" should probably have only ".5" in Nemeth ... because "bag" is not a standardized unit of measure
The conclusions above must change my answer to your original question. However, I urge you to do what is necessary in order to produce a consistent and clear transcription.
- This reply was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by kdejute.