Reply To: German questions

Home Forums Foreign Language German questions Reply To: German questions

ftb
Participant

Greta,

I'll respond with information that I hope you find useful. If you have further questions, please send along a print sample.

BANA's Provisional Guidance for Transcribing Foreign Language Material in UEB, posed on their website as approved May 2015, indicates that Method 4 can be applied to your business card, as I understand your question. Method 4 uses the full braille code of a specific country, in this case Germany. Method 4 requires the transcriber to be fluent in the specific language and to know the braille code for that language.

I am not qualified to transcribe such material.

I can however, point you to the information you need.

From the Provisional Guidance document mentioned above, if the foreign language braille code includes contractions (e.g. German), then there is an option to use or not use contractions, depending on the expected readership of the braille.

From World Braille Usage (WBU), found on the Perkins.org website, there are three contraction grades in Germany, two of which you might consider (both use contractions): Vollschrift, recommended for younger school children and signage, and Kurzschrift recommended for adults and other schoolchildren.

The 8 Vollschrift contractions are listed on p. 182 of WBU. There is no equivalent braille sign for  capital punctuation listed in WBU.

p. 46 of WBU refers to organizations that can help you. Braille Standards are set by Authority of the German-Speaking Countries (Brailleschriftkomitee der deutschsprachige, BSKDL). For Literary Notation: Das System der deutschen Blindenschrift, 2005.

If you choose not to use contractions, consult Method 3 in the Provisional Guidance document mentioned above, and we'll go from there if you have further questions.

Good luck,

Carol Greer