BF 2011 poetry in religious materials

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook BF 2011 poetry in religious materials

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Julie Sumwalt
    Participant

Sub-section 15.9 on verse-numbered texts in religious material is confusing for me. I think perhaps the word "verse" has suddenly taken on a new meaning, that of chapter segments rather than poetry style, which Section 15 also discusses. 15.9.2 says to follow print when religious text has verse numbers embedded within paragraphs. That's clear enough. 15.9.3 talks about the text being in verse format. By "verse format" does BF mean that each verse number is at the margin in print? Even though the verse numbers may be at the margin, there are still paragraphs, so if each verse is in 3-1, how do we show a new paragraph? Blank lines? Also, there is a lot of poetry in some religious texts, so you actually have verses (chapter segments) in verse (poetry style), and I don't see that addressed here. Can you please clarify?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    joannavenneri
    Participant

I don't understand what it confusing you. I think the sample shows what verse format is and the instructions say exactly what to do with the verse number. Again, this is a hypothetical question. The guidelines are the starting point to applying formatting to print text and the application of guidelines depends on what the print text looks like and how it is intended to be read. I have said this before. I need to see real print text, otherwise I can only guess here. I also do not see why you raise the issue of adding a blank line. The indention of the paragraph in cell 3 certainly shows that it's a new paragraph.

Please feel free to clarify your question.

--Joanna

Julie Sumwalt
    Participant

I hope these examples will help. On page 215 there is a bit where the format changes from paragraphs to a more poetic form. The verse (chapter segment) numbers are along the left margin, not embedded within a paragraph. As I understand the guideline, we are then to put these verses in 3-1. All the regular paragraphs with embedded numbers around the poetic part are also in 3-1, so how is the braille reader to know that this part is different, that is, in poetic verses and not a bunch of short paragraphs?

Page 1000 shows a series of two-part sayings. The verse numbers are not embedded, so according to the guideline, these should also be in 3-1, but then the rhythm is lost.

Page 1119 shows a long passage of poetic text. There are verses (chapter segments) and verses (poetic stanzas). Again, how is the reader to know the difference between actual paragraphs and this sort of passage?

joannavenneri
    Participant

Are you actually transcribing this now?

--Joanna

joannavenneri
    Participant

No, I'm just trying to understand the guidelines.

Julie Sumwalt
    Participant

Your interest in the new guidelines is certainly appreciated!

We are glad to answer questions here, but we need to point out that research on many of them can take hours. We simply don't have the time to deal with complex questions when there is no problem. Transcribers who pose questions here are asking about actual work they are doing and often have to stop that work while they wait for answers here.

I apologize if we haven't been clear on this, and we would like to gently suggest that the best way to learn thses guidelines is to use them. We'll be glad to help with real problems. As much as I enjoy the discussion, we just can't accommodate hypothetical questions, even with examples.

Thanks for your understanding.

--Joanna

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.