Combination of Lower Signs

Home Forums English Braille American Edition Combination of Lower Signs

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    HHHendrickson
    Participant

I have encountered a situation in literary braille where an asterisk is followed immediately by a period, ending a sentence. How should I braille this? There is no "upper dot". Thanks.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Before I can answer this, I really need to know how the asterisk is being used.
    Would it be possible to attach an example?

Anonymous
    Inactive

[quote=SBorboa]Before I can answer this, I really need to know how the asterisk is being used.
    Would it be possible to attach an example?[/quote]

The sentence reads: It too was flashing: *** Alarm *** Perimeter ***.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you. It is very helpful to see how the asterisk is being used.
    The only situations where an asterisk symbol is actually used is for a reference indicator or a break in thought.
    As you have already discovered, the asterisk symbol doesn't work in contact with the period.
    My suggestion would be to look at the purpose of the print symbol. It appears as if this situation is simply for visual purposes, and it isn't important at all that the asterisk be used.
    Braille Formats 2011 Section 18.3.8 is the closest reference I can find for this situation. It shows substituting dot 3s for the print symbol, using a tn to explain the change. Hope this helps.

HHHendrickson
    Participant

Thank you, SBorboa for all your time and trouble. I do believe you have solved my problem, and I will make the necessary adjustments. Thank you again. You are wonderful!!!

HHHendrickson
    Participant

Any time!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘English Braille American Edition’ is closed to new topics and replies.