Dividing Long Numbers Between Lines

Home Forums English Braille American Edition Dividing Long Numbers Between Lines

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

I'm asking a question on behalf of someone who is studying the LOC course, but does not have access to a computer. The question is in relation to a change in wording (regarding dividing long numbers between lines) from the Fourth Edition of the Instruction Manual to the way it now appears in the new Fifth Edition.

In the Fourth Edition, Rule 3.1b states (in part):
    Long numbers may be divided between lines only following a comma - and when at least four digits of the number remain on the first line. Numbers without commas or of six digits or fewer should not be divided between braille lines.

The corresponding rule in the Fifth Edition, Rule 2.6b, states:
    Do not divide numbers of six digits or fewer, or numbers printed without commas, between braille lines. Longer numbers may be divided between braille lines only following a comma. (The same example is given in both editions)

I guess the main confusion is in the fact that Rule 2.6b in the Fifth Edition does not state that four digits of the number must remain on the first line. Is this no longer a condition of dividing long numbers between lines? Any clarification is much appreciated . . . thanks!

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Hi Anne,

Great question! We have deliberated this very issue and the discrepancies between the two manuals in our current braille transcribing course.
    There is no rule as to how many numbers should be on the line before you take the division to the next line. The manual only states where a division may be made in long numbers (after a comma), and that the number must be six digits in length or longer. The reality is that you don't see numbers divided in print unless they are extremely long ... so in braille, if a number is extremely long (at least 6 digits) only divide when absolutely necessary. We recommended to our class that you not divide a number (with six digits or more) if you only had one or two digits on the line, along with a comma and the hyphen. It doesn't save space, and makes no sense to divide a number that way. In other words, if you has a number such as 3,500,000 you would not divide it 3,- 500,000 as you would not be saving much space. That is how it was explained to me so that is what I am passing along. 🙂 I hope this helps ...

Jana

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Jana,
    Thanks for your explanation . . . that makes a lot of sense. --- Annie 🙂

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Since we are not dividing words any longer, do we also not divide numbers?

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Annie,

For manuscript purposes, unless you have a number that is really long, do not divide. Remember, if you divide words in your manuscript, you must be consistent throughout. Same would go for dividing numbers. The Instruction Manual tells us we do not have to divide (after Lesson 12), except for hyphenated compound words.

Hope this helps!

Jana

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

oops.... wasn't Annie asking the question! My apologies, bnbdowning70 🙂 But my answer remains the same 🙂
    Jana

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Thank you. My class and I appreciate you. Bettie

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘English Braille American Edition’ is closed to new topics and replies.