Expanded addition

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Expanded addition

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Susan Baker
    Participant

Hi there,
    Is there a set format for doing the lines on the example on the attached page? I'd like to know how many blank cells I should leave for the line following the 50/10/60 column and the dividing line, and then the line and the 3/2/5 column. Would you recommend I spur lines vertically, or is there a method using braille dots for the vertical lines?
    Thank you,
    Susan

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Susan Baker
    Participant

Please open the attached file to see a way to do this with braille dots. (ABT if you have Braille2000, BRF if you do not)
    Do not braille the original problem and the place-value problem side-by-side.
    A transcriber's note can explain the 456 line, and the omission of the arrow.

Susan Baker
    Participant

Thank you for your help!
    Susan

Lindy Walton

Hi Lindy,
    Can you tell me the format you used when you created the braille example?
    What mean is were you using the word Addition as a cell one (as if it were an itemized problem) with the spatial expanded problem starting in cell three as a runover or displayed material? I liked your format, I was just trying to make sure I was using it correctly for continued problems like this. Also, would you put the word "EXAMPLE" which is off to the side as a cell 5 heading to the word Addition, (then later subtraction, etc.)? And then, in Guideline 10, it looked like the heading Example is also placed in cell 1 right above the example problem. I am getting a little confused. Any clarification you can give, I would really appreciate it!
    Thanks,
    Susan

Lindy Walton

Hi Susan. I will try to address your comments. Let me know if you have further questions.

As with any transcription, your consistency in formatting will result in a layout that makes the reading flow. Simbraille examples are usually taken out of context so you can place them as they fit in YOUR transcription.

EXAMPLE can be a cell-5 or cell-7 heading. I see the orange example as a separate item, not as displayed material, which is why I started at the margin. I was not following an established Nemeth format from the codebook.

I don't know what "Guideline 10" is. Are you referring to Braille Formats? In exercise material, BF 10.8.4 tells us to format examples in the same way as the following questions. If items on page 4 of your book show a format that will apply nicely to this example, you could format it that way instead.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.