footnotes in piano music

Home Forums Music Braille footnotes in piano music

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Hi.
    The volume of piano solos that I'm transcribing has several rather lengthy footnotes and I wonder what is the best way to present them. The first footnote occurs at the beginning of the print piece mid-way through the volume; it is an asterisk beside the pedal marks and says "Pedal is optional." However, the pedal marks in the score are MANY. Do I transcribe the pedal marks as indicated within the score and the "Pedal is optional" footnote at the bottom of the first page of this piece?
    The second footnote series reminds me of Schnabel editions where each footnote expounds in paragraph style about various trill realizations in different editions; would this be better on some sort of footnotes page, or at the bottom of the particular braille page? Thank you so much! Christina

LarrySmith
    Participant

Dear Christina,

I'm sorry it has taken so long for me to get back to you.

With the "pedal is optional" marking, I'd put it in as a normal footnote where it appears in print, and show the pedal markings normally.

I'd move the Schnabel-type annotations to numbered references and give them in a special section headed "Editorial Remarks" at the end of each piece. You can say on the TN page that "Editorial remarks are given after each piece."

I hope this helps.

Larry

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Larry, thank you!

I already did the pedaling as you suggested - hurrah!

I did also move the annotations to a separate section (pages) at the end of each piece.

What I DIDN'T do (and perhaps SHOULD do?) is change them to numbered references instead of putting them in list-form by measure-number. This would require that I re-format the music to include a footnote indication within each of the 19 annotated measures of the piece. If that is more accurate, I will do so before sending the volumes off to the client.

Thank you again for your help.
    Christina

LarrySmith
    Participant

I think your list by mwasure numbers is perfectly clear and fine.

Keep up the good work.

LarrySmith
    Participant

I think your list by mwasure numbers is perfectly clear and fine.

Keep up the good work.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.