full capitalization question

Home Forums English Braille American Edition full capitalization question

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

I was wondering how to fully capitalize a name such as McDougall. At first I was just going to put the double capital sign in front of the whole name. Then I thought maybe I need to put a double capital sign in front of Mc and then put a second double capital sign in front of 'Dougall'. Would this second way be correct? Thank you.

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Hello,

Thanks for your question. If the name is McDOUGALL, you would single cap Mc Double cap DOUGALL. If the entire word is capitalized such as MCDOUGALL, only then would you use a double cap indicator in front of the entire word.

Hope this helps.

Jana

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Thanks for your response. I'm still kind of confused though. I had this situation marked wrong on a certification exam. It was on the title page on the line for the author name which should be in all caps of course. I put the double capital sign in front of the whole last name (in front of the McDougall) and it was marked wrong. The only other thing on the line is the first name 'Sally' which I brailled using the 'ally' contraction and put the double capital sign in front of 'Sally'. That's why I figured I must have something wrong with the way I brailled the 'McDougall' name.

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Hello,

I am not sure why you were marked wrong. Perhaps asking NFB for clarification will provide the answer you need. They are not always correct ... so if you feel something was marked off in error, question it! 🙂 You are correct that the author's name must be in full capitals. Without seeing the print, the braille, and the explanation they gave you, I cn't answer your question any better.

Question them and let me know what thewy have to say 🙂 Good luck!

Jana

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The forum ‘English Braille American Edition’ is closed to new topics and replies.