Graph labels

Home Forums Tactile Graphics Graph labels

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Is there a rule concerning placement of labels along the horizontal axis? I usually begin the label where the first number or word begins along the axis.

In this particular graph, "none, water, and oil" are placed at points along the horizontal axis where the vertical line intersects. The label "Kind of Lubrication" follows on the next line. The word "none" begins in cell 11 and normally, I would start "Kind of Lubrication" in the same cell. However, it looks strange having it so far over and I wonder if I shouldn't begin "Kind of Lubrication" in cell 6 where the vertical and horizontal lines start.

Thank you for your help!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Would it be possible for you to attach a copy of your illustration? What type of graph are you working with? If it is a vertical bar graph, the bars could probably all be moved over closer to the vertical axis. Depending on the type of graph, this may not be possible. At the present time, the guidelines for graphs suggest that the label for the horizontal axis be aligned with the first value (which, as you suggested, is "none"). There are no definitive rules for tactile graphics, just guidelines, and each graphic must be considered individually as to what works best. Sometimes even the overall size of the graphic will make a difference in how I handle it.
    Hope this helps ... if not, it would still be good to see a copy of the image in order for me to assist you.
    Thanks for posting your question.

Betty

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

I should have attached a copy of the graph, sorry. I've included a scan of the graph and how I brailled it.

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Should have attached the braille sample in Braille2000 since not everyone has MegaDots.

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Your .meg file should be converted to a .bfm file which could be picked up in other programs. Your next attachment was a .doc file (Word) rather than .abt file (Brl2000), so I couldn't open that properly either. At any rate, I've quickly done up a sample and saved it as a .jpeg which I will attach. As indicated earlier, I think the best approach would be to move the vertical values closer to the left. Since the right side of the graph shows a partial "cell", it wouldn't hinder the reading of the graph is the left side also portrayed a partial "cell".
    Good luck!
    edited by betty.marshall on 5/17/2010
    edited by betty.marshall on 5/17/2010

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Thanks Betty! I will try and remember to use the .bfm file for future. Your solution sounds good to me.

--Karen

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.