Individual Vocals to Duet

Home Forums Music Braille Individual Vocals to Duet

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Robert Dietrich
    Participant

Hello Kathleen:

I am working on a vocal piece that switches from S1-S2-A to a duet, where two voices harmonize in thirds. The duet section is not labeled S1-S2 (I assume the A voice drops out). Should this Duet part be transcribed as intervals (high to low), or as a single vocal line separated by an in-accord sign?

--Robert

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Kathleen

Are you doing full score choral with all parts? Or is this for a single singer and you don't know if they're singing the top or the bottom?

If it's full score, I'd break them out into two separate lines.

If it's a line-by-line for a single part and you don't know which to do or you're specifically asked to do both, I would use in-accords to show the separate parts. If the singer is asked to sing the bottom line, it's a 100 times easier to skip over an in-accord part and read the notes she's supposed to sing rather than figure out intervals for each note.

Robert Dietrich
    Participant

Hello Kathleen:

As a follow-up to this question, should I put [wordsign-du] in the music line to indicate the transition from S1 to duet? Or is the change in music heading (where the duet section is identified) adequate to signal the transition?

Also, where the the CHOIR section enters at M32, the S1 voice  enters on a pick-up note (see attachment). So, should I use the du/wordsign-du identifier there along with the S1 identifiers because the parts are actually different?

Robert

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Kathleen

Hi Robert - (please forgive my delay in responding. I didn't get a notification that there was a new message)

In the hopes that this is not too late -

Hopefully, you're using an ensemble format so that the marginal identifiers will let the singer know which part singing which notes. When the duet drops out, just go back to a single part for the soprano.

I would have the duet part on a separate line(s) as the soprano 1 so that each measure can be Brailled in full and can easily be counted and sung.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.