letter indicator or not?

Home Forums English Braille American Edition letter indicator or not?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    braillebud
    Participant

These are all from non-technical material, EBAE. I'm confused about when to use the letter indicator following the hyphen. None of these would be misread if it wasn't included, but the rule seems to be different for each instance.

1-MCP (I think I'm required to include the letter indicator according to EBAE Rule II.12.a.)
    1-Methylcyclopropene (I think this does not need the letter indicator because it is a word that would not be misunderstood, but I'm not sure where it says that in EBAE.)
    1-800-MEDICARE (I think I'm required to include the letter indicator according to EBAE Rule VI.27.f.)

Any help clarifying this would really be appreciated.

JanaBrailles

Hi there,

Under the rules of EBAE, you would need a letter indicator in each of the instances enumerated below, for the fact that you have letters following a number and a hyphen. Yes, it would not be misread as a number but the rule clearly states that it is needed following a number and a hyphen. Hope this helps.

Jana

JanaBrailles

Regarding 1-Methylcyclopropene, I kept searching for this myself and came across 12.3c in the Instruction Manual for Braille Transcribing Sixth Edition, 2013:

12.3c Numbers followed by words. When a number and a word are joined by a hyphen, as in 6-pack or 7-Up, a letter indicator is not required unless all of the letters of the word could be misread as a number.

braillebud
    Participant

I would use caution with the Instruction Manual for Braille Transcribing ... it is NOT a rulebook, only a guideline. And ... thus far, I have yet to find an instruction manual without errors. In the items you listed below, it is very evident to me, that Methylcyclopropene is not a number. But you did ask what the rule stated. Perhaps a phonecall to Jennifer Dunnam can provide you with a better answer. Let me know what she says. 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The forum ‘English Braille American Edition’ is closed to new topics and replies.