Prime symbols in non-mathematical context

Home Forums Unified English Braille Literary Prime symbols in non-mathematical context

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Kathleen

Good afternoon!

I am working on a textbook in which musical sections are described with capital letters with prime and double prime symbols. For example, the form of a piece is described in print as

AA'A'' or AA'BB'A''

Is there a proper UEB prime symbol that can be doubled?
    Thanks,
    Kathleen

Kathleen

UEB has symbols for prime and double prime. See Section 3.11 and 3.15. The prime symbols is dots 2356 and the double prime is 2356, 2356.

Cindi

Kathleen

Thanks, Cindi!

Kathleen

Quick follow up question-
    is a grade 1 indicator necessary in an expression such as the ones I listed?

Thanks!

claurent

The grade 1 indicator would only be required if the letter is standing alone. With the prime attached, they are no longer standing alone...so no, a grade 1 indicator would not be required.

Cindi

claurent

One more question about this, if I may!

In the expression AA'BB'CC', I will use the capital word indicator before the first A. Does the prime sign terminate the capital indicator, therefore requiring me to repeat the cap word indicator after each prime symbol?

Thanks Cindi!

claurent

I would say that the prime qualifies as a nonalphabetic symbol and, according to UEB 8.4.2, that would terminate the capitalized word indicator.

Cindi

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.