publishers on title page

Home Forums English Braille American Edition publishers on title page

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Hi. I am working on my trial manuscript. The book that I am transcribing has two publishers in two different cities in California. The instructional manual doesn't have anything about this issue. I can't ignore any of the publishers; both are printed on the title page and also the author mentions both in the "Acknowledgments." As a former librarian, I believe I should put the first publisher and the city on one line and the second one on the next line followed by the name of the state. I would appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Hello,

I have not seen this before. Please scan and attach the title page so I can see what you are looking at. This will allow me a better perspective of how to respond to you situation. 🙂
    Thanks!

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Hello,

I have scanned and attached the title page. Hopefully it is clear to view.

Thanks

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Hi. Here is a copy of the back of the title page of my book. Thanks

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Hello,

Thank you for the scans of your pertinent pages. They are most helpful! In looking over the information on the publishers, it does present a somewhat confusing issue. I took the liberty of looking up your book through the publisher ... and since the edition you are transcribing is the New revised edition with the 2000 copyright, I would use H.J. Kramer as the publisher and the city of Tiburon, California. That seems to be the principal publisher of this edition.
    In looking at the publishing history, the original publisher was New World Library, however H.J. Kramer published the newer edition in a joint venture with New World Library.
    For your trial manuscript, you will only use one publisher, not both. If you choose, you can enclose mention of your dilemma in the note to the evaluator, and your reasoning for choosing one publisher over the other. But it is clear that you would NOT put both publishers on your title page.
    I hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions ... or if anyone else has anything else to add to this? Comments are welcome 🙂

Good luck!

Jana

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Jana,

Thank you very much for your helpful instruction. I will certainly follow your advice and mention the problem in the letter to the evaluator.

As I had mentioned before, the author thanks both publishers in the "Acknowledgments" section of the book. If I put H.J. Kramer as the publisher; wouldn't it be confusing for the braille readers when they come to the "Acknowledgments" where the other publisher is mentioned, too?

Roza

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Roza,

Often times an author will acknowledge publishers and others in a literary work. I don't believe it will be confusing to the reader. In addition, books are often published by one publisher, and then with another publisher in a later copyright. If you are using the 2000 copyright, then H.J. Kramer is the publisher.

Best wishes,
    Jana

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Jana,

Thank you very much for all the clarifications; they really were helpful.

Best regards,

Roza

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The forum ‘English Braille American Edition’ is closed to new topics and replies.