Rule 5?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Can you tell me if Rule 5 is still in effect? I can't seem to find anything for Mathematical signs. I am specifically looking for dimensions in the new Braille formats.

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

[quote=tjensen]Can you tell me if Rule 5 is still in effect? I can't seem to find anything for Mathematical signs. I am specifically looking for dimensions in the new Braille formats.[/quote]

Sorry I forgot to say this is partially technical work and this section (2 pages) will be in Nemeth code.

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

If you are using the new 2011 Formats Guidelines, Rule 5 is no longer in effect because 1997 Formats is no longer in effect. Don't even go there! I looked in the 2011 Guidelines index and found a list of all the math (and other) symbols in Appendix G and the guidelines for using them in Section 1. As before, we follow print. We braille the symbol and not the word when the symbol only is used in print. The symbol is listed on the Special Symbols page or at the location where it occurs. It will take a little time to get used to the new guidelines. Do not fear the Index.

--Joanna

joannavenneri
    Participant

Wow thank you for getting back to me so quickly. The index is very nice! I searched in the portfolio on my desktop and it didn't find it, so thank you.

nwbsbeth
    Participant

Hi, I have been working through the new Guidelines and I can't find any requirement to list the Mathematical symbols shown in the "General Purpose Symbols", on the Special Symbols page. Would you please help me find where that requirement is stated? Thank you!

joannavenneri
    Participant

Take a look at page 17-11. (That's page 11 in Section 17). Let us know if that's the information you are looking for.

--Joanna

nwbsbeth
    Participant

Oh! Thank you Joanna! I didn't think to look in Section 17 for symbols to include on the Special Symbols page. That section seems to be specifically for spellers and grammar, which I happen to be working with, but what about the other math symbols in other literary textbooks? And what about the other signs listed in the "General Purpose Symbols"? Don't they also need to be listed on the Special Symbols page? If so, it seems to me that this should be mentioned in Section 2.5. Thanks again!

joannavenneri
    Participant

These new guidelines provide specific guidance about special symbols. The particular symbols that need to be on a list symbols list are given in the section that applies to them. That's why the math symbols used in spellers are given in the section on spellers.

The General Purpose Symbols are just that--a list of just about ALL the symbols used in braille. These do not necessarily go on the special symbols page. They include punctuation and composition signs. Would you put a comma on the special symbols page? A capital sign?

Look in the Index under Special symbols. You will see a list of the various sections that require special symbols, including Spellers. When working with material that applies to those sections, you'll see which symbols are needed for that material.

--Joanna

nwbsbeth
    Participant

Oh, thank you! I'll read more carefully through the Index!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.