Shortforms List

Home Forums Unified English Braille Literary Shortforms List

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    omh847
    Participant

Hello,

My question is about the shortform word -  about .    The book I'm transcribing has the sentence - He sailed around the world to China and around the Cape Horn and nearabout everywhere so far as I can see.

I did not use the shortform for about since it is not on the Shortforms List.  We had a discussion about this in our group this morning and we are of 2 minds.  One is that I should have used the shortform and the other is that I should not use it since it is not on the Shortforms List.

Thanks for your input.

Mary Hubbard

Hi Mary,
    According to ICEB 2013,  you should not use the shortform for "about". Here are the reasons.

1. Does not appear on shortforms list
    2. Is not listed as one of the 10 words that can be used within a longer word that is not on the shortforms list. Rule 10.9.3
    3. Also, see page 239 of ICEB 2013 for rules for list construction.

Here are the rules:

10.9.2 Shortforms as parts of longer words

Use the shortform within a longer word provided that the longer word is “standing alone” (including any affix with an apostrophe) and that the longer word:

(a) appears on the Shortforms List given in Appendix 1; or

(b) satisfies the provisions of rule 10.9.3. Rules of Unified English Braille 10: Contractions Second Edition 2013 138 Note: Rule 10.9.2 encompasses words which are ordinary words, proper names and artificial or contrived words.
    Use any of the ten shortforms listed below within a longer word that is not on the Shortforms List, provided the word is "standing alone" (including any affix with an apostrophe) and that any restrictions for the shortform are met.</p>
    (a)    "braille" or "great":

(b)    Use the shortform wherever it occurs. (b) "children":

(c)     Use the shortform provided that it is not followed by a vowel or "y".

(d)     (c) "blind", "first", "friend", "good", "letter", "little" or "quick":

(e)    Use the shortform if it begins the word and is not followed by a vowel or "y".

nearabout does not appear on this list.

Page 239 ICEB 2013

Rules for list construction Shortforms as words

1. The 75 shortforms of Unified English Braille are on the Shortforms List.

Shortforms as parts of longer words
    <ol start="2">

• When a shortform is part of a longer word, add the longer word to the Shortforms List provided that: (a) the longer word retains an original meaning and the original spelling of the shortform; and (b) use of the shortform is not prohibited by rules 3–5 which follow.

Example

Marabout m(ar)ab(ou)t

I hope this helps clarify.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.