Spanish formulas

Home Forums Foreign Language Spanish formulas

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Joanna. This question was posted in the math forum, but I think you would be able to answer with more authority. I have included the answer I posted to this question.

braillepro
    I have a one-page list of Geometry formulas, in Spanish, from a standardized test.
    Can you offer your opinion, Dorothy, whether I may use Accented Spanish Braille, or Grade One with the accent sign?
    It's hard to believe I haven't run into this situation before now, but there it is.
    Thank you (or anyone else) for your feedback.
    1/8/2010 2:06:57

dworthing
    If you do this page as a Spanish page, it will require a tn to that effect, plus a special symbols list of the accented letters. It would help to know if the page is intended for a Spanish reader in print. I will send this question on to the foreign language forum if that's okay with you.

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Hi!

Joanna here. I did see this in the math forum. Happy to help if I can. I do need some additional information and I really would like to see this print page. Can you scan it and attach it?

Is this math test otherwise in English? If so, do you know the purpose of this information in Spanish? Is this list of formulas also provided in English? It is quite common now to have translated glosssaries and other resource material usually found at the back of general subject textbooks (science, math, history, etc.) in what are otherwise English textbooks. I wonder if this list of formula is somethng similar--a resource in English material that is translated into Spanish.

This information in additional to seeing the actual page will enable me to give specific suggestions.

--Joanna

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Thank you for your reply, Joanna. As usual, seeing the question, along with your initial response, solidified my initial inkling.

Since this is only one page, A reference page, I believe that context will guide the user enough such that Spanish-accented letters (along with the required tn/ss) will not be necessary.

Thanks again.

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Perhaps I'm not understanding what you're saying, but Spanish accented letters are necessary and required here. There is an overlap with certain Spanish accented letters and certain Nemeth symbols that THAT is where context guides the reader. The Spanish accented letters can be listed in a brief TN at the site of occurence. This is the only way that the braille reader can access what the printer reader sees, the precise accented letters used in Spanish.

--Joanna

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.