Table of Contents questions

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook Table of Contents questions

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    rsherwood12
    Participant

Hello,
    I am transcribing an Italian textbook. However, my question pertains to the formatting of the table of contents, so I think this is a formats issue rather than a foreign language issue. Please let me know if it should be in the foreign language forum instead.

Attached is a scan of the first page of the "Indice", or table of contents, at the beginning of the book.

1a) Should I consider each "Unita" to be a main entry, like a chapter, even though the word means "unit"? If so, the identifier "Unita" would be placed at the left margin on the line after VOLUME 1 and removed from the individual entries, correct?
    1b) Or should I center each Unita # and put the page numbers at the right margin and consider "Titolo" to be the identifier on the line after VOLUME 1?

I have attached sample .brf files with both formats.

2) How are page ranges handled in a table of contents? I am used to seeing only the first number of a chapter.

Thank you for your help,
    Rebecca

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    joannavenneri
    Participant

I think this is more of formatting issue than a foreign language issue. In any case, you're stuck with me since I'm the moderator of both Formats and Foreign Language. In foreign language we generally follow Formats, except where something specific to foreign language makes it necessary to do something else. There are no foreign language exceptions that apply here, so this is just about Formats.

Unita must be centered as you did in your "b" braille file. Unit headings are specifically required to be centered in Contents. So that takes care of that.

Titolo (Title) CANNOT be used as an identifier because an identifier is used ONLY in connection with numbered main entries. So even though Titolo is [u]repeated [/u]in each main entry, it is not [u]numbered[/u], so you just don't have an identifier here.

Thank you so much for sending the print and the braille samples. That is very helpful.

--Joanna

joannavenneri
    Participant

Hi again, Joanna! I am happy to be stuck with you in both Formats and Foreign Language. You are a great help!

To follow up on my table of contents question, when there is a range of pages listed in the print TOC, should this be retained in braille, or should only the first page be listed? For example,

Unita 6 """""""" 34-39
    or
    Unita 6 """"""""""" 34

Thanks,
    Rebecca

rsherwood12
    Participant

I think you can follow print on this, since I don't see any formatting complications for doing so. It should all fit on a line or two like other contents entries.

Thank you for the kind words!

--Joanna

Elizabeth R Bailey
    Participant

I have a question about the TOC that uses a range of pages such as 35-37 and what to do if you have more than one entry that has this. Example:

Unita 6   14, 16, 18-20

Unita 7   4, 9, 12

Unita 8   22, 24-28

How are these to be shown and are guide dots to be used?

claurent

Can you send me a picture of one page?  Is this in a brief contents or a full contents?

Cindi

Elizabeth R Bailey
    Participant

This is shown exactly as it was given to me. It was on the same page with the Contents in Brief but I did not leave it there. I put it on its own page. I put Quick Reference as a 5 cell heading. Then the subentries in 1-3 with guide dots leading to the first page number. I have attached a page that shows the material. Thanks.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    claurent

Sounds like you did the best you could with the material provided.  I was going to say this is like an index (per 2.10.17 of Formats), but the page numbers ARE sequential.

This is a good example of applying what IS covered in Formats to a situation that isn't.

Cindi

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.