Trial Manuscripts and the 2011 New Format Rules

Home Forums English Braille American Edition Trial Manuscripts and the 2011 New Format Rules

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Lucas Timpe
    Participant

Dear Fellow Transcribers:
    As a Certified Proofreader, Mentor and Educator, I have been bombarded with questions pertaining to the Trial Manuscript. Below you will find a series of positions I have taken for the transcription of a Trial Manuscript. I have taken this position because Braille Formats, Principles of Print-to-Braille Transcription, 2011 is the most recent update. The Preface of Braille Formats states in part:

“The original intent of this revision was that English Braille American Edition would be revised at the same time and that all of the formatting decisions for both literary and technical materials would be covered in this document. As EBAE is not yet complete there will be a period during which they overlap. Where there are conflicts follow Braille Formats: Principles of Print-to-Braille Transcription, 2011.”

This quote has led me to believe we must apply the following Braille Formats, Principles of Print-to-Braille Transcription, 2011 Guidelines for Trial Manuscripts.
    To enhance this position, I am also relying upon a posting by Joanna Venneri on [url=https://www.nationalbraille.org/Forum/messages.aspx?TopicID=1148] NBA’s Ask the Expert website, posted 7/12/12, blank lines on title page[/url].

I would greatly appreciate a response to the positions I have taken in this matter. Please respond by using a yes or no answer as often as possible to help us eliminate as much “grey area” as possible.

1) § 2.3 TITLE PAGE:
    1.14.1. a. Braille page numbers always are placed at the right margin on the last line of the braille page. Is this a correct application?
    1.14.1. b. Transcriber-generated braille page numbers are preceded by t. See Section 2, Transcriber-Generated Pages and Front Matter, §2.2, Transcriber-Generated Page Basics. Is this a correct application?
    2.3.3. c. All items on the United States title page are listed in 1-3. Is this a correct application?
    2.3.8. c. Braille Page Information. All transcriber-generated, front matter, and braille page numbers are accounted for. Is this a correct application?
    2.3.8. d.(1-4) Print Page Information. Is this a correct application?

2) § 2.4 SECOND AND SUBSEQUENT TITLE PAGE:
    2.4.1. a-d. Is this a correct application?
    2.4.2. a-c. Is this a correct application?

3) § 2.5 SPECIAL SYMBOLS PAGE:
    2.5.2. b. Do not repeat SPECIAL SYMBOLS USED IN THIS VOLUME or category headings on subsequent pages. Is this a correct application?

4) § 2.6 TRANSCRIBER’S NOTES PAGE:
    2.6.1. a. Place TRANSCRIBER’S NOTES as a centered heading on line 1 (line 3 if a running head is used). Do not repeat the heading on subsequent pages. Is this a correct application?

5) § 2.10 TABLE OF CONTENTS:
    1.10.1 All print page numbers, including front matter pages, are included in braille. The print page number is located at the end of line 1. Is this a correct application?
    1.10.1-8. Is this a correct application?
    1.14.1c. Print front matter braille page numbers are preceded by p. See Section 2, Transcriber-Generated Pages and Front Matter, §2.7, Front Matter Basics. Is this a correct application?

6) § 2.7 FRONT MATTER BASICS:
    2.7. Is this a correct application?
    2.7.1. a. Braille page numbers are preceded by p, e.g., p1, p2, etc. Is this a correct application?
    2.7.1. b. All front matter pages, as well as repeated content, include the print page number. … Is this a correct application?

7) § 2.8 BOOK COVERS AND JACKETS:
    2.8. Is this a correct application?

8) § 2.9 DEDICATIONS:
    2.9. Is this a correct application?

9) § 2.12 BODY MATTER:
    1.10.1 All print page numbers, including front matter pages, are included in braille. The print page number is located at the end of line 1. Is this a correct application?
    1.14.1. a. Braille page numbers always are placed at the right margin on the last line of the braille page. Is this a correct application?
    1.14.1. d. Begin the main text of each volume with braille page 1. Is this a correct application?
    2.12.1. b. Body matter pages begin with braille page 1 in each volume. Follow print for page number format. See Section 1, Basic Principles and General Formats, §1.12 Letter/Number or Number/Number Combinations for more information about unique page numbering. Is this a correct application?

joannavenneri
    Participant

Saralyn is not able to respond to posts at this time so she has asked me to fill in. It's Joanna, from over next door in Formats. I have made appropriate inquiries and the answer here is quite short. The ONLY rules for the trial manuscript are in the NLS Instruction Manual 5th edition. This is the only set of published rules and thsoe are the ones to use for the trial manuscript. My understanding is that the upcoming 6th Edition will require the new Formats to be used, but the 6th Edition has not been officialy approved by BANA and has not been published.

5th Edition NLS Manual. Use ONLY the formatting indicated in this edition.

--Joanna

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘English Braille American Edition’ is closed to new topics and replies.