Viola Shift

Home Forums Music Braille Viola Shift

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Lucas Timpe
    Participant

Could someone let me know if I am handling this shift properly? This is as the first time I have taken on a transcription for a stringed instrument (viola).

Thanks

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Kathleen

Hello Lucas!

This is how I have shown the shift indication in the past, yes. Be sure to add a TN before the first time it appears, as dots 41 also represent the glissando.

Lucas Timpe
    Participant

Hey Kathleen,

Thank you for your response.

We did run into a couple of other questions.

1. I ran into a situation with the shift. I have been placing the shift symbol after the first of the 2 notes as you would with a glissando. In this situation though, the note marked with the shift is after the backwards repeat sign in the continuation of measure 7. Would I then still place the shift after the G half at the beginning of measure 7, or would this confuse the reader with the repeat? Would it be appropriate to move the shift to before the B quarter in the 2<sup>nd</sup> part of measure 7?

2. Another situation I have is an arrow they are using in this book to represent the high or low finger pattern. Do you have any         suggestions on how to handle this that doesn’t interrupt the music too much? Often times, the arrows are in conjunction with a finger        number.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Kathleen

I would probably put the shift before the B quarter in the second part of measure 7, since that is where the shift happens, and not on the G before it.

I've never actually seen arrows by themselves indicating high and low positions. When I encounter the "hi2" or "lo2" fingering, I add a dot 1 after the finger number for hi and dots 12 after the finger number for lo.

But if the arrow appear by themselves, we can't add the fingering. I would use a word sign "up" or "down" before the note with an arrow.

Transcriber's notes are your friends in these books!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.