Vocabulary lists with definitions

Home Forums Foreign Language Vocabulary lists with definitions

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

I am sorry I put this on the wrong forum. Thank you for answering during a very busy time.

I looked at Example 98 in Formats and saw that two blank cells were used before the abbreviated parts of speech. I now see on page 40 in the interim manual that a braille colon should be inserted after the parts of speech so two blank cells would not be required. Hopefully I have correctly interpreted your instructions in the example below.

The following would be in margin-5, 3-5, but I can't seem to do that here. I'm not sure which colon you changed to a semicolon.

abundan .v43
    Infinitivo; abundar3 existir '''

edited by myrtle12345 on 3/11/2010
    edited by myrtle12345 on 3/11/2010

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

[quote=myrtle12345]I am sorry I put this on the wrong forum. Thank you for answering during a very busy time.

I looked at Example 98 in Formats and saw that two blank cells were used before the abbreviated parts of speech. I now see on page 40 in the interim manual that a braille colon should be inserted after the parts of speech so two blank cells would not be required. Hopefully I have correctly interpreted your instructions in the example below.

The following would be in margin-5, 3-5, but I can't seem to do that here.

[simbraille]abundan .v43 Infinitivo;
    abundar3 existir '''[/simbraille]

When I designate this as "glossary" MegaDots puts all the entries with runovers in 5. Is that correct?
    edited by myrtle12345 on 3/11/2010[/quote]

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Thank you for pressing on! I believe you change ALL the colons within an entry to semicolons because these denote alternative forms or uses of the main entry word and are therefore actually subentries that happen to be embedded within the main entry. In this case a colon is used before the definition as well. You keep that one! But usually this is not the case and a colon has to be added.

The colon is reserved to mark the end of the entry and the beginning of the definition. Most foreign language glossaries that we encounter are actually translations and the colon denotes the shift from the foreign language to English and vice versa. However, in the case of a glossary entirely in the foreign language we use use foreign language rules and insert the colon to separate the entry from the definition. That's what you did in your braille example, using the colon at the end to denote the actual defininiton. And you are correct; the subentry is 3-5, even though you weren't able to show that here.

I notice the the same situation occurs in the word after abundan as well, and it looks like you have more than one subentry this time. Each subentry gets a new 3-5 paragraph.

Carry on! Let me know if I can be of any further assistance. Thank you for sending the print and braille examples. They are very helpful.

--Joanna

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.