Reply To: Dividing Words Between Lines

Home Forums English Braille American Edition Dividing Words Between Lines Reply To: Dividing Words Between Lines

Chris Clemens
Keymaster

Hi Jana-

I teach at a university and came across this from a student on a project they were doing. I am aware of the new rule about dividing words not being required, but didn't know how to handle their word division, as I wasn't sure if what they did with hyphening the word was actually "correct" or not.

Thanks so much for your clarification, it is greatly appreciated. I am constantly amazed at some of the unusual things I get from my students, and this was one I just wasn't sure what to do with, nor could I find the answer.

On a side note, I have to say that it is rather contradictory that the Instruction Manual for Braille Transcribing (the book we use here) teaches you to divide words between lines in lesson 2, but then suddenly in lesson 12 they tell you stop. I understand the need to still learn this skill why it it "fits" in lesson 2, but I just think there should be a better explanation of its current usage there. I wonder how others feel about this . . .

Many thanks and Happy New Year to you as well!!!

Donna