Dividing Words Between Lines

Home Forums English Braille American Edition Dividing Words Between Lines

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

I have a question regarding the word "academic" and dividing it between lines. I have enough room to put "ac-" at the end of the line and then "demic" on the start of the next, but couldn't the "ac-" be confused for "according"? Is it okay to leave it as is, should I use the letter indicator, or should the entire word be moved to the next line? Could you please assist me with how I should handle this situation? I can't find an answer to my question in either the Instruction Manual for Braille Transcribing or English Braille American Edition.

Thank you.

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Donna,

The divided word academic would not be misread as according if you were to divide it after the ac. The short form word "according" must stand alone, therefore it would not be followed by a hyphen. I am curious as to why are you dividing words to begin with? The certification manuscript no longer requires that words be divided between lines, unless they are hyphenated compound words.

Happy New Year!
    Jana

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Hi Jana-

I teach at a university and came across this from a student on a project they were doing. I am aware of the new rule about dividing words not being required, but didn't know how to handle their word division, as I wasn't sure if what they did with hyphening the word was actually "correct" or not.

Thanks so much for your clarification, it is greatly appreciated. I am constantly amazed at some of the unusual things I get from my students, and this was one I just wasn't sure what to do with, nor could I find the answer.

On a side note, I have to say that it is rather contradictory that the Instruction Manual for Braille Transcribing (the book we use here) teaches you to divide words between lines in lesson 2, but then suddenly in lesson 12 they tell you stop. I understand the need to still learn this skill why it it "fits" in lesson 2, but I just think there should be a better explanation of its current usage there. I wonder how others feel about this . . .

Many thanks and Happy New Year to you as well!!!

Donna

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Donna,

Glad I was able to help and clarify for you. I also teach from the NLS Instruction Manual for Braille Transctibing, 5th Edition, and I have to agree with you regarding the division of words. I do think it is important to be able to divide, but the reality is almost everyone (at least the agencies I am affiliated with) specifies not to divide words, but rather take them to the next line. There is a lot of time and energy spent on this task only to then tell the student, "oh by the way, you no longer need to divide your words." There are a good many discrepancies in this new manual ... and a good many inconsistencies, yet we still have no errata ...

Happy New Year! Maybe there will be an errata out sometime this year? 🙂
    Jana

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The forum ‘English Braille American Edition’ is closed to new topics and replies.