Reply To: Danish words

Home Forums Foreign Language Danish words Reply To: Danish words

joannavenneri
Participant

When you said it was a religious text, I thought you meant the whole book was religious text with translated material. Again, the context is what decides whether foreign language rules are used here and I'm still not totally clear on the context. Is this the only instance of the Danish? The nature of the book itself is what determines the context. If the narrative is English and this Danish material is just there as part of the narrative, as it appears to be in this case, this is considered English context. The Danish is uncontracted and the accented letters are preceded by dot 4. Foreign language rules would apply only if this material was actually translated and/or the reader needs to know the actual Danish and so forth. Foreign language rules usually apply in instructional material that is instructing in a foreign language with English instructions and other English material.

Based on the sample you have sent, this is English context material and I would not use foreign language rules. However, if you decide otherwise. the Danish alphabet symbols must be listed as special symbols. The Danish is uncontracted.

They are:

[braille]> æ a-e ligature
[braille][ ø o slashed
[braille]* å a overring

But again, in this context, I think you can just use the dot 4 accent indicator.

Thank you for sending the print page. It was very helpful.

--Joanna