Reply To: Displayed double-spacing; lettered heads

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook Displayed double-spacing; lettered heads Reply To: Displayed double-spacing; lettered heads

joannavenneri
Participant

Joanna,

So that you have a complete picture I've attached the 3 pages that use the same heading, with a different sub-head in italics (I call it a sub-head for lack of a better term, unless you have another):

Lesson 2
Commas in Sentences
Teaching

I assumed that the bigger the heading the higher in the hierarchy it would be. Your insight on how it is read offers new food for thought.

Q1: I like your presentation of "... ^ TNinsert commaTN." Should a dot 4 be added to the caret symbol since it would stand alone? If the dot 4 is to be added I would include on the Spec.Symb. page and add an explanation to the Trans.N. page as well.

Q2: Since the paragraph in the original post is set off by different margins I formatted as displayed material (BF 9.1). In displayed material the adjusted left margin would be cell 3 (BF 9.2.2), and since the paragraph is indented it would begin in cell 5. (BF 9.2.2.d).

Contrary (it seems) to the above, BF 10.7 covers displayed differently in exercise material. BF 10.7.1 calls for indented displayed paragraphs in 7/5.

So perhaps the question should be-- [u]Is this paragraph displayed[/u] and [u]is it exercise material[/u] or not?

BF 10.1.1 states "An exercise set may include headings, directions, examples, questions, and answer choices. Each exercise set is formatted differently." In reality, could the entire book be considered exercise material? I always thought Exercise material had to have a question AND answer part, and since this portion does not, I used the format of 5/3 in BF 9.2.2.d.

Q3: Since the item (heading) is 5/5, I didn't think this would count as a list nor that it would be an outline format. Again my thinking was that lettered topics in an outline began in cell 1. I do agree that letters punctuated need not have the letter sign, I just didn't know what to call it.

I hope that I haven't further complicated things, though it seems that answering one question begets another sometimes.

Thanks, Fred