Displayed double-spacing; lettered heads

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook Displayed double-spacing; lettered heads

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Fred Van Ackeren
    Participant

Hi Joanna,
    I have three questions about an 8th Grade Grammar Workbook.

Q1. Under Section A in the last line of directions there is a comma under a caret symbol. Should all of this be retained? I omitted the comma and added TN In the following directions a comma under the caret symbol is omitted in braille.TN The main reason to omit was to avoid a long stream of lower case punctuation symbols [braille]957174.

Q2. Double spacing for sighted students to insert commas is omitted and brailled 5/3. Is this correct? If this was expendable material would the spacing have been retained?

Q3. Lettered headings. I've brailled these in cell-5, w/o letter signs. The only letters in the book are A, B, and C. I've seen this done but can't find any samples with braille.

I've attached 2 images for your evaluation. As always I appreciate your input.
    Thanks,
    Fred

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    joannavenneri
    Participant

Q1. See Braille Formats 18.6 Proofreading marks are not used in braille. [u]Do not devise signs for them.[/u] Delete the transcriber's note because it isn't needed. Braille the directions in 5-5 as printed. When you get to the last sentence in the directions Use the proofreading symbol enclose the words insert comma within TN indicators. [simbraille],,, symbol ,'9s]t -a,'4[/simbraille] That identifies the symbol for the reader and the TN indicator informs the reader that this identification was added by the transcriber.

Q2. Double spacing in print is ignored in braille. A book may be transcribed in double-spaced braille, but that has nothing to do with how the book is printed. This paragraph IS the exercise and NOT displayed. It should be brailled as an indented paragraph in 3-1. I'm not sure why you refer to 5-3. I couldn't find any provision for anything in exercises to be in 5-3. IF this paragraph had been displayed, it would be 7-5. See Formats 10.7.1.

Q3. Letters that enumerate items in a list or outline and are followed by punctuation are brailled without the letter sign as shown in the braille you included.

Please consider the main heading used here. Without access to other pages in the book, it's hard to tell, but I think Application is not shown accurately. Is Application a repeated heading that applies to other exercises in this lesson? It is possible that the order of this heading is

Lesson 2
    Application
    Commas in Sentences

Look at other pages in this book and try to determine how these headings are intended to be read. The print position, especially with headings, can be misleading. As far as can be reasonably determined, headings should be brailled in the order they are intended to be read, regardless of print appearance.

If there are further questions, please post them.

--Joanna

joannavenneri
    Participant

Joanna,

So that you have a complete picture I've attached the 3 pages that use the same heading, with a different sub-head in italics (I call it a sub-head for lack of a better term, unless you have another):

Lesson 2
    Commas in Sentences
    Teaching

I assumed that the bigger the heading the higher in the hierarchy it would be. Your insight on how it is read offers new food for thought.

Q1: I like your presentation of "... ^ TNinsert commaTN." Should a dot 4 be added to the caret symbol since it would stand alone? If the dot 4 is to be added I would include on the Spec.Symb. page and add an explanation to the Trans.N. page as well.

Q2: Since the paragraph in the original post is set off by different margins I formatted as displayed material (BF 9.1). In displayed material the adjusted left margin would be cell 3 (BF 9.2.2), and since the paragraph is indented it would begin in cell 5. (BF 9.2.2.d).

Contrary (it seems) to the above, BF 10.7 covers displayed differently in exercise material. BF 10.7.1 calls for indented displayed paragraphs in 7/5.

So perhaps the question should be-- [u]Is this paragraph displayed[/u] and [u]is it exercise material[/u] or not?

BF 10.1.1 states "An exercise set may include headings, directions, examples, questions, and answer choices. Each exercise set is formatted differently." In reality, could the entire book be considered exercise material? I always thought Exercise material had to have a question AND answer part, and since this portion does not, I used the format of 5/3 in BF 9.2.2.d.

Q3: Since the item (heading) is 5/5, I didn't think this would count as a list nor that it would be an outline format. Again my thinking was that lettered topics in an outline began in cell 1. I do agree that letters punctuated need not have the letter sign, I just didn't know what to call it.

I hope that I haven't further complicated things, though it seems that answering one question begets another sometimes.

Thanks, Fred

Fred Van Ackeren
    Participant

This looks like a repetition of what I've already suggested.

Q1. As shown ion the braille examples, OMIT THE CARET. The text identifies the symbol as a directiion to insert a comma, something the braille student will not actually do. Again, refer to that section in Formats mentioned in the earlier post that states that print formattinig symbols are not used in braille.
    Q2. That paragraph is NOT displayed. Its margins are 3-1. It is an indented paragraph. It is not displayed because it IS the exercises item. It is not displayed WITHIN the exercise because it IS the exercise. I believe that is what was said in the previous post.
    Q3. Headings are not determined by the size of the print or where they are located on the print page. Heading levels are determined by how they are intended to be read. It is true that print size and prominence is a good place to start, but appearance is only an indication. Commas in Sentences Application is not accurate here. Repeated headings generally indicate what follows, or what is under them. I have indicated how the headings are interpreted. You may, of course, disagree. But I have shared how I would do this.

Formatting is open to interpretation of course. I can only offer the consensus of what I would do myself and what most transcribers would do. The additional samples that you sent confirm my original interpretation and there is nothing different that I would say about the formatting.

--Joanna

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.