Reply To: math expression entirely in words and entirely in grade 1 braille

Home Forums Unified English Braille Technical math expression entirely in words and entirely in grade 1 braille Reply To: math expression entirely in words and entirely in grade 1 braille

kdejute

I think I understand better now, Cheri. Thank you.

First, it sounds like the print you're looking at has put "percentage" and "change" on different print lines purely because it looks nice that way. Mathematically, the first part of the equation is "percentage change."

Second, I strongly suspect that what you've called a dividing line is a fraction line (which does mean division).

This makes the transcription of the problem relatively straightforward: The phrase "percentage change" equals the fraction "‘original number minus new number’ over ‘original number’" times 100.

I've attached a PDF and a .docx with what I think your print looks like along with the transcription I would use in an uncontracted environment, and I've also included (just for fun) the transcription I would use in a contracted environment.

Stay strong and braille on!
–Kyle

P.S. The attached .docx file uses the "visual" or "simulated" braille font APH Braille Shadows, which is available for free download, under the heading "Parent Letters" on the Pre-K Teacher Resources page of the Building on Patterns website.

Attachments:
You must be logged in to view attached files.