math expression entirely in words and entirely in grade 1 braille

Home Forums Unified English Braille Technical math expression entirely in words and entirely in grade 1 braille

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Cheri A. Wales
    Participant

Hello.  I've tried looking through the UEB Technical manual, the UEB guidelines, and your webinars on technical braille and I can't figure this out, especially as it's math within math.  How do I braille the attached expression?  I'm new to doing math in braille and the student I am doing it for is new to braille in general and only reads grade 1 braille. Does the fact there will be no contractions at all in this affect any use of the grade 1 indicator?  Thank you.

kdejute

Cheri,

Unfortunately, it appears that the picture you tried to share is too large for Ask an Expert to handle. Can you upload a smaller resolution picture?

I cannot respond to your specific material without seeing it.

Nonetheless, generally, within an uncontracted environment the only thing that needs grade 1 mode is lowercase letters a-j that follow unspaced after a number (because otherwise such letters read as digits; e.g., 123 #abc versus 12c #ab;c). Without contractions (i.e., in an uncontracted environment), other symbols cannot be misread (because they can't be read as contractions since none are used anywhere).

I hope this helps, and I look forward to seeing your specific material.

–Kyle

Cheri A. Wales
    Participant

I apologize for that.  I can't get a photo the correct size. The problem is (divided between lines like this):

Percentage   =  Original number - New Number

change             ______________________   x   100      [that's meant to be the dividing line in division, not an underscore]

Original number

[percentage change = ((original number-new number)/(original number)) x 100]  I'm not sure what to do with subtraction divided by another number (all written as words) which is then multiplied by yet another number.  I couldn't find any examples in the technical guidelines.  I do understand your webinar on where to divide mathematical expressions between lines, I just don't understand how to write the mathematical expression to begin with.  And thank you, I do understand your explanation about the grade 1 indicator.  I appreciate your help.

kdejute

I think I understand better now, Cheri. Thank you.

First, it sounds like the print you're looking at has put "percentage" and "change" on different print lines purely because it looks nice that way. Mathematically, the first part of the equation is "percentage change."

Second, I strongly suspect that what you've called a dividing line is a fraction line (which does mean division).

This makes the transcription of the problem relatively straightforward: The phrase "percentage change" equals the fraction "‘original number minus new number’ over ‘original number’" times 100.

I've attached a PDF and a .docx with what I think your print looks like along with the transcription I would use in an uncontracted environment, and I've also included (just for fun) the transcription I would use in a contracted environment.

Stay strong and braille on!
    –Kyle

P.S. The attached .docx file uses the "visual" or "simulated" braille font APH Braille Shadows, which is available for free download, under the heading "Parent Letters" on the Pre-K Teacher Resources page of the Building on Patterns website.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Cheri A. Wales
    Participant

Thank you Kyle!  I really appreciate the help.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.