Reply To: list of individual transcriber’s notes in Early Educational Materials

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook list of individual transcriber’s notes in Early Educational Materials Reply To: list of individual transcriber’s notes in Early Educational Materials

rsherwood12
Participant

Thank you for the clear response from Bonnie Read.

I guess I just don't understand how reading individual transcriber's notes in the preliminary pages will help early readers understand individual transcriber's notes since they are presented without context. The student will encounter the notes when they find them in the volume and ask the teacher for help at that point if needed. Also, as they get older they won't encounter individual transcriber's notes listed on the global TN page. Listing them in the prelims without any context seems like it just gives younger readers more preliminary pages to read through.

I do see how listing them for the teacher in the inkprint Teacher's Reference Material pages in grades K-3 is helpful and that listing the print page number will help the teacher find which note the student is referring to as they encounter it in the body.

Just my two cents, though I understand that the Guidelines have been published, so I will refer transcribers I work with to that document and this explanation by Bonnie.

Thanks much,
Rebecca