list of individual transcriber’s notes in Early Educational Materials

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook list of individual transcriber’s notes in Early Educational Materials

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    rsherwood12
    Participant

Hello,

I'm reading through the new Guidelines for the Transcription of Early Educational Materials and I am confused as to whether the individual transcriber's notes throughout the volume should be listed in the braille version of the transcriber's notes page, or just the inkprint Teacher's Reference Materials. Can you confirm which?

Also, would you recommend listing every single transcriber's note, including volume indicators in the table of contents in the complete table of contents in the first volume as well as End of Volume # transcriber's notes? Or should a transcriber use common sense in including only notes about the actual content of the book?

Last, would the heading "Teacher's Reference Materials" appear only in the inkprint pages or also above the heading for the special symbols page?

Thanks,
    Rebecca

claurent

I'm going to do a little investigation on this one. The way I read the code, all TN's are included in both the Teacher's Reference Materials and the braille version of the TN page (See the paragraph on page xi under Teacher's Reference Notes which states "These print pages correspond to the braille pages that contain information ... and Transcriber's Notes page". I think all TN's need to be included in case the reader has trouble understanding or interpreting one of the TN's and the person helping them does not know braille well (or at all). However, I'm not 100% sure on this (as this is my interpretation) so I'm going to ask about it and I'll get back to you 🙂

The heading "Teacher's Reference Materials" is for the inkprint pages only.

Cindi

claurent

I'm going to do a little investigation on this one. The way I read the code, all TN's are included in both the Teacher's Reference Materials and the braille version of the TN page (See the paragraph on page xi under Teacher's Reference Notes which states "These print pages correspond to the braille pages that contain information ... and Transcriber's Notes page". I think all TN's need to be included in case the reader has trouble understanding or interpreting one of the TN's and the person helping them does not know braille well (or at all). However, I'm not 100% sure on this (as this is my interpretation) so I'm going to ask about it and I'll get back to you 🙂

The heading "Teacher's Reference Materials" is for the inkprint pages only.

Cindi

rsherwood12
    Participant

Thanks, Cindi. I agree that's the way it's worded. I'm just wondering why it would be helpful to have all of the transcriber's notes in the braille both on the TN page and in the body. Especially for early readers, it seems like it would be a lot of extra material to read through at the beginning and extra pages to carry around. Listing all the TNs in the inkprint Teacher's Reference Materials makes sense to me because it's for the teacher and listed all in one place in print, but I would think only global notes need to be on the TN page in braille.

I look forward to hearing what other feedback you find. 🙂

Best,
    Rebecca

claurent

I checked in with the chair of the BANA committee responsible for the guidelines and she agrees with my answers.  All TN's in both print and braille and the heading ONLY in print.

Cindi

alohabraille

Hi Cindi and Rebecca,

Has there been any reasoning given or any clairification on inserting individual TN's on the braille TN page? I appreciate  your time and willingness to share your wisdom, mahalo.

claurent

I have heard no other discussions on this topic.

Cindi

rsherwood12
    Participant

Hi Cindi,

Following up on this issue:

Section 2.2 of the Guidelines for Early Educational Materials states: "The Transcriber's Notes page: (2.2.3) Lists all the transcriber's notes ... that appear in the volume at the kindergarten and first grade levels."

• 1. Does this mean that the individual notes should only be included in the braille TN page in grades K-1? (not grades 2-3?)

Section 4.3 on the inkprint Teacher's Reference Materials states: "The Teacher's Reference Material should include the following: (4.3.2.c) a print copy of the TN page(s), including a listing of each transcriber's note from within the braille volume."

• 2. Does this mean that all grade levels K-3 should have the individual transcriber's notes listed in the inkprint, or only grades K-1 since it seems that only K-1 will have the individual notes listed in braille?

Sorry if this is beating a dead horse. I'm just receiving files from different transcribers to emboss and print out that are formatted all different ways, and I would like to have a standard recommendation to make.

Thanks,
    Rebecca

claurent

Per Bonnie Read (the BANA chair for the Early Learning Materials committee):

Section 2.2 of the Guidelines for Early Educational Materials states: "The Transcriber's Notes page: (2.2.3) Lists all the transcriber's notes ... that appear in the volume at the kindergarten and first grade levels."

• 1. Does this mean that the individual notes should only be included in the braille TN page in grades K-1? (not grades 2-3?)
    Yes. By the time they are at grades 2 and 3 they are familiar enough with TNs. However, it is not wrong to include them in grades 2 and 3 if the transcriber feels it is necessary.

Section 4.3 on the inkprint Teacher's Reference Materials states: "The Teacher's Reference Material should include the following: (4.3.2.c) a print copy of the TN page(s), including a listing of each transcriber's note from within the braille volume."

• 2. Does this mean that all grade levels K-3 should have the individual transcriber's notes listed in the inkprint, or only grades K-1 since it seems that only K-1 will have the individual notes listed in braille?
    The full list of TNs is included in inkprint for all grades for the teacher's benefit (who may not be familiar with braille).

Her answers are in bold.

Cindi

rsherwood12
    Participant

Thank you for the clear response from Bonnie Read.

I guess I just don't understand how reading individual transcriber's notes in the preliminary pages will help early readers understand individual transcriber's notes since they are presented without context. The student will encounter the notes when they find them in the volume and ask the teacher for help at that point if needed. Also, as they get older they won't encounter individual transcriber's notes listed on the global TN page. Listing them in the prelims without any context seems like it just gives younger readers more preliminary pages to read through.

I do see how listing them for the teacher in the inkprint Teacher's Reference Material pages in grades K-3 is helpful and that listing the print page number will help the teacher find which note the student is referring to as they encounter it in the body.

Just my two cents, though I understand that the Guidelines have been published, so I will refer transcribers I work with to that document and this explanation by Bonnie.

Thanks much,
    Rebecca

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.