1-in. — in contraction?

Home Forums Unified English Braille Literary 1-in. — in contraction?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Taylor Goldhardt
    Spectator

I have a place where I put "1-in.". Because of the upper dots in the 1 (and because the hyphen terminates grade 1 mode as set by the numeric indicator), I believe I can use the 9 contraction in this situation. Is this correct, or am I missing a rule somewhere? (I'm citing 10.6.8 and 10.6.10 to support my claim.)

Dan Gergen
    Participant

Good morning Taylor,

Thank you for your recent question concerning the "in" lower groupsign in "1-in." for the abbreviation inches. The UEB Literary and Technical committees agree with your claim that the "in" lower groupsign may be used based on the references you cited.

§10.6.8 and §10.6.10 would apply in this example. The hyphen terminates grade 1 mode when set by the numeric indicator. As a result, the "in" groupsign followed by the period should be used. Both are in the lower cell but connected through the hyphen in the sequence to the upper dot 4 of the numeric indicator.

Dan Gergen, Chair
    UEB Literary Committee

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.