11 Different color highlights in text

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook 11 Different color highlights in text

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Christina Conroy
    Participant

I am getting ready to start a text in which there are 11 different colors used to highlight words throughout the text. These colors are referred to by name, and used as cross-references to different sections of the text (which are in the same color). The book does give shapes to correspond to the colors, and uses the shapes sometimes, but not consistently. Should I just ignore the colors and use the shapes at all points (putting them either before or after the highlighted word), putting a note on the TN page about that? If I were to have to use the 11 different colors, how would you recommend I go about doing that? Thanks!

claurent

As you know, there are not eleven typeform indicators. The idea of using the shapes is a good one. I would suggest using one of the transcriber define typeform indicators preceded by the shape indicator with a space between. That way you can show highlighting with a typeform symbol, word or passage indicator and then indicate what color using the shape. It requires writing a really good TN.

Cindi

Christina Conroy
    Participant

Thank you so much, Cindi. That's a very good idea!

Christina Conroy
    Participant

Hi Cindi,

I have a follow-up question for you:

I am working on another text that has multiple colors of highlighting (6 so far) that have different purposes. So I need to retain all of them. They do not have shapes or anything else associated with them. I do not think I'll be able to substitute any of the other typeforms for colors since I'm using them all in the text. So I can see two ways of doing this, and I'd love to get your opinion on whether one of these is best, or whether there is another suggestion for 6 or more highlighting colors in a text.

1. Use the five TD-typeforms for the first five colors, then use a TD-shape for the other(s), writing a good TN, as you suggested above.
    2. Use TD-shapes for them all, as suggested above. That way there is consistency for the reader throughout the text. I'm leaning this way, but I wanted your thoughts.

Thanks Cindi!

Christina

claurent

I like your second option as well - using one of the t-d typeform indicators so you can use the symbol, word, passage concepts with a shape indicator preceding so you can distinguish between them. It helps keep things consistent for the reader when you need more typeforms that you have symbols for!

On another note, I'd love some pages from both of these books as they would be great examples for workshops!  If you get a minute, would you scan some pages and send them to me? claurent@nationalbraille.org.  thanks!

Cindi

Christina Conroy
    Participant

Sure thing, Cindi! I've also attached a couple here for any other readers of this post who might be interested.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Christina Conroy
    Participant

Oops, one was too large, let's try again...

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by Christina Conroy. Reason: Edited to try yet a smaller file
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.